Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #1 
Luhaley

Unhappy Fish emergency. Can't figure this out!

I've been having some issues with my betta, Nero, for some time now but I cannot figure out what the issue is. I rescued him from some poor water conditions 8 months ago and had since treated him for fin rot which started growing back quite nicely. Since then, some odd things have happened and I really need some help.

Tank: 2.5 Gal
Lights: LED
Gravel: yes
Water properties: clean tested
Attitude: Normal
Appetite: Normal, always hungry

Since I treated him for fin rot with bettafix, he developed these red sores on his head. They look more like scrapes than blood under the skin. I never noticed him scratching himself so I can't pinpoint what they are from. There is also one red dot under his chin which you can only see when he takes a big breath and his chin muscles spread out. Someone thinks this is Costia?

For the next water change, I added aquarium salts and I've since been using Maracyn, but stopped that to use Melafix (active ingredient: Maleleuca) because it said "to treat open red sores." The sores haven't changed but all this other stuff is happening

I was also told long ago that the lump on his caudual fin was a tumor that shouldn't affect his life. But I'm starting to believe that may not be right. Is it possible to be a lump of fungus? It has seemed to grow more bulbous. Since I started treating Nero, an ash colored spot appeared on the lump as well as on the dorsal fin. This lump never seemed to bother him, but I can't tell if it's his skin or something else. (Having a white betta makes this much more difficult).

Like I mentioned, the ash colored spots appeared on the base of his dorsal fin and on that lump. This only happened in the last week or so while treatment.

The last thing that's happened is I've noticed pieces of fin hanging off his dorsal and pelvic fins. They look like tiny dots of what looks like ripped fin, but I can't tell because he is white and a fungus ball would be too. The dot on his dorsal got a red dot yesterday similar to the ones on his head. I've never seen this happen and I'm worried.

I was told that this could be Costia, a bacterial infection, or fungus. Maybe more than one. Since I'm not seeing an improvement with the Maracyn/Melafix, I was hoping someone might know what else I can do. The idea of a dip scares me...but if I have no other choice I would of course. Right now, whatever it is doesn't seem to be affecting his spirit and he's still as peppy as ever. But I need to figure this out before anything worse happens or my wallet drains from these expensive meds.

The before picture is when I was treating him for fin rot. He had the lump which I was told was a tumor, but that's all. The rest of the pics show his head, the lump, and the little fin pieces I explained.

Thank you so much and please don't yell at me for the size of my tank or anything else about being a bad owner, because I really care about Nero and I am trying my best...bad owners would not be going through all this money and trouble. Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by Luhaley; 08-29-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Luhaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #2 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I'm going to bump this because I am really curious to learn what that is. Plus I want you to get help for him!

Oh, and people are going to say not to use Bettafix or anything that ends in "-fix" because it can damage the labrynth organ.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #3 
Luhaley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
I'm going to bump this because I am really curious to learn what that is. Plus I want you to get help for him!

Thank you so much!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #4 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
:) Also. . if no one knows what that is. . .. I don't know, some people have suggested using API General Cure. I hope someone more experienced chimes in because I have also heard "oh no, you are now medicating TOO much". . and "don't medicate if you don't know what you have" .. but to do nothing doesn't help either so .. .
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

How big is his tank and how often and how much water changes you been doing for him?

Really doesn't look like fungus. Fungus would be fuzzy , cottony like even if he is white you would see fuzzy stuff. You can see it if you look at him from different angles. Or take magnifier.
And i think you give him too much medications. Usually if betta has fin rot and active and eating you don't really need to treat them with medications. You can treat with more frequent water changes.

Also you wrote taht you been using aq salt. How much , how long? It really important with aquarium salt to use right dosage and right duration otherwise it not going to help.

I hope someone will come along more experienced then me but give more information on water changes and tank size.

Also i would not use any more medications but if you started aq salt i would finish it. Just give more info on how much you using it. With aq salt you need to do daily 100% water changes with betta acclimation.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #6 
Luhaley

I do a water change once a week and use 1/2 a tablespoon of aquarium salt. The aquarium salt box says a dose is a rounded tablespoon for every 5 gals. The tank is 2.5 gal. Someone told me to use that with the water changes only. I started using the Maracyn after for a few days but stopped that when I got the melafix.

It's very tough getting advice because everyone says something different and that the last person was wrong. I don't know what to do :(
Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

Sorry i will try to ask someone who has experience to look at your post.
About aquarium salt i can assure you that instructions that i am going to give you -correct instructions.. I think this is the only forum , where people really know instructions since we all learned from Oldfishlady who is naturalist and does it most of her life. I am going to put instructions for you.
It good that you stoppled medications.
When you look on the instructions on the box it just preventative not for the treatment though.

How long are you using aquarium salt?
Do you usually change 100% of the water once a week?
Old 08-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #8 
Luhaley

Yes, I regularly change 100% of the water once a week and add the salts then. What is the treatment dose? Should I keep doing it?
Old 08-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

Aquarium salt is usually 1tsp/gall-3tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes.

You usually need pre mix it in one gall jug for the right dosage.
Since he is active and eating you don't need high dosage of the aq salt though.
With the treatment you can qt him in the smaller container or just lower the water level in his tank. So it easier for you to treat.

I did ask someone to look at your post. She is not log in so i would wait for her response unless someone else know what you have to do.

Meanwhile i would not use anything for a few reasons.

First again i am not experienced like other people here. But first if it lump you don't need to use anything. You can't treat lump.

Second i am not sure that it lump only because you wrote that it spread. Unless he just got another one ,which can happened. But i don't know why it red though.

Third when you use aq salt for long time and it not therapeutic dosage the immune system get used to it and it may not help any longer.

So wait don’t add anything in his water. just wait for response ....It good that there is not behavior changes though. Just keep his water clean for now …

Definitely no more med’s since it not helping anyway and just do more harm than helps
Old 08-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #10 
Silverfang

I think it might be Lymphocystis. Google that and see if it looks like it.

IF it does. Keep the water clean. It is usually not fatal unless it's in a vital place. Keep him separated from other fish, it is a virus and will spread.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacterial, betta, fungus, red sores, sick