Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #1 
babystarz

Grindal Worms - When to Split Culture?

I received a free culture of grindal worms when I bought a batch of 6 week old fry a few weeks ago. They arrived in a little tupperware container with airholes poked in it and live in reptile bedding. I keep it nice and moist, feed the worms a high protein diet daily, and store them at a high temp in a dark place. They have been proliferating magnificently, I was shocked to see how many there were today; based on a guesstimate I'd say they've reproduced twice and now the first babies are ready to start reproducing. There are hundreds of egg cocoons all over the place too.

I am wondering when I should start splitting this worm culture up? I would like to continue it and get a few more cultures started so I can start giving them away too. I know that when maximum population is reached it levels off and the worms stop reproducing so much, so I'd like to split the culture up before that happens.

This is my first time owning worms, so I'm not familiar with what constitutes overcrowding or anything.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

When you have the food and other supplies.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #3 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I received a free culture of grindal worms when I bought a batch of 6 week old fry a few weeks ago. They arrived in a little tupperware container with airholes poked in it and live in reptile bedding. I keep it nice and moist, feed the worms a high protein diet daily, and store them at a high temp in a dark place. They have been proliferating magnificently, I was shocked to see how many there were today; based on a guesstimate I'd say they've reproduced twice and now the first babies are ready to start reproducing. There are hundreds of egg cocoons all over the place too.

I am wondering when I should start splitting this worm culture up? I would like to continue it and get a few more cultures started so I can start giving them away too. I know that when maximum population is reached it levels off and the worms stop reproducing so much, so I'd like to split the culture up before that happens.

This is my first time owning worms, so I'm not familiar with what constitutes overcrowding or anything.
OMG. Have you not seen my post? http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...2/#post1235461

Help lol. Please send me some grindal worms for a starter culture if you have a population problem. LOL

Thanks.

BTW when I was researching getting these I think I read somewhere that you should harvest your worms daily even if you can't feed them all to your fish. This keeps the culture from weakening. A good sign of over population is when they try to climb the sides of your container.

Last edited by goldfishyman; 09-09-2012 at 01:36 AM.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote