Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

concerned...fraying tail, darkening edges of gills

ive had moonie for a little over a week now...hes been in great health so far, very active, great appetite...however ive noticed his tail is continueing to fray on the bottom..its started small and has gotten a tad worse...i did buy him a different filter with a lower setting and have it at the lowest now. He was also moved 4 days ago into his new tank a 6.6 gal bookshelf tank and he tends to stay on the oppisite side of the tank from the filter so i dont think the filter has caused the new damage..the only thing different about him since the move is that hes stopped making bubble nests and i dont think hes a fan of his light (which i have to keep for the plants now that i got them)...he has had 2 moss balls and one anubias added to the tank in the past few days as well..so there have been a lot of changes for him in such a short time...however like i said he is still eating appears healthy and very active...something else ive recently noticed are some small black spots under his skin on one side that i dont remember seeing before...however im thinking maybe im just now noticing them because of his light? There is also some slight darkening on the outer edge of his under gill, the part that moves when he breathes, that deffinitely wasnt there before...i guess i just want to be able to jump on anything before anything gets worse and wanted your advice...i just lost 8 brandnew guppies from the petstore to cotton mouth so im a bit paranoid...they of course were in a different tank and i feel ive been careful about how i handle equipment but im still worried in the back of my mind...anywho i see lots of posts asking if their fish has fin rot or if the tail is just fraying ...i guess im just wondering if i should treat for anything before it gets too late?

Housing
What size is your tank? 6.6 gal
What temperature is your tank? 75 - 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes aquaclear lowest setting
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? plants

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one and dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day 3 - 4 pellets AM 3 fdbworms PM

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1 timea week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? AQ salt and tetra balance plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
test strips
Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: (white) 0?
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6 or 8.0 (higher end)
Hardness: 120
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? possible tiny black spots, raggety tail (tail hasnt changed color at all), darkening around the gil
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no bubble nests
When did you start noticing the symptoms? when he moved to new tank 4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not that i know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? must be over a year? his tail is large and full

This a pic of him the first night in the new tank 4 days ago...i dont have a new pic but will try and get one, the tail is deffinitely rattier now than it was in this pics but you can see where it was getting ratty around the edges in this pic, then where that little hook looking thing on his tail is appears to be the most damaged now...the hook area is all frayed.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #2 
tpocicat

He might just be getting used to his new surroundings. I have the same tank and I know that at it's lowest setting, the filter won't tear the fins.
Have you tested the water? Since the tank is new, you might have an ammonia spike. If so it would be good to do a water change more often until the new filter has enough good bacteria to handle the ammonia.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

50% water change everyother day maybe? how will i know the ammonia is leveled off? Do you think an ammonia spike is whats causing the tail to fray?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #4 
Friendlyfishies

this is his home...is there something he could be ripping his tail on...i also saw a little hole at the bottom of his tail too...

Old 08-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #5 
Friendlyfishies

I took the rocks out and right as i did the ups truck pulled up with my new decor LOL couldnt have had better timing...i wanted to remove the rocks to see if that was causing the ripping in the tail...here are some pics of his tail ...what does it look like to you?

after revamping the tank, hoping the removal of the rocks might help
Old 08-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #6 
Pearl2011

Looking at the red spots it is prob ammonia burn,
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #7 
Friendlyfishies

thanks pearl, but if you talking about the red spots all over his finnage its his coloring, hes an orange dalmation but good observation :) ...I am hoping all in all its just ammonia burn or from draging his tail around and not something more serious..i did a 75% water change tonight when I redid the tank and just added a pinch of salt so i didnt harm the plants but hopefully help his tail heal up. Any other thoughts?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

He is gorgeous!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote