Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2008, 10:06 PM   #1 
xtina

Question about pH

Hello, I'm brand new to this forum, but I've been lurking around for a week or so without signing up. But I decided to ask you all a question I had about the new aquarium I'm setting up for my betta. This is my first aquarium, just a 10gal, and I've set it up and got everything running yesterday and I tested the parameter levels today after letting it cycle for 24 hours. According to what I've been reading, everything is pretty normal, but we have really soft water here so the hardness is a bit low and the alkalinity and pH a bit high. I was wondering 1) what do you think is the best range of these things for my betta and the silvertip tetras I want to put in with him later and 2) what is the best and most cost efficient way to lower the pH and alkalinity to an ideal level and 3) is it safe to move him tomorrow if these are still a little high? I'm anxious to move him into his new home, but I don't want to stress him out or anything.

Also, are silvertip tetras ok to put in with a betta? I was considering the neon tetras or glowlites but I really like the silvertips.
xtina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #2 
SKAustin

Re: Question about pH

1) 6.8-7.0 is probably the most ideal range Both fish prefer a neutral, or slightly acidic condition.

2) Bogwood/Driftwood is a cost efficient and effective means of keeping the PH low.

3) the initial 24 wait after setting up a tank is to allow the chlorine in the tank water to neutralize/dissipate. The aquarium's cycle lasts a few weeks. The "cycle" refers to the development colonization of the necessary bacterias to complete the nitification process. Adding a used filter pad from a friends established tank can greatly speed up the cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtina
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum, but I've been lurking around for a week or so without signing up. But I decided to ask you all a question I had about the new aquarium I'm setting up for my betta. This is my first aquarium, just a 10gal, and I've set it up and got everything running yesterday and I tested the parameter levels today after letting it cycle for 24 hours. According to what I've been reading, everything is pretty normal, but we have really soft water here so the hardness is a bit low and the alkalinity and pH a bit high. I was wondering 1) what do you think is the best range of these things for my betta and the silvertip tetras I want to put in with him later and 2) what is the best and most cost efficient way to lower the pH and alkalinity to an ideal level and 3) is it safe to move him tomorrow if these are still a little high? I'm anxious to move him into his new home, but I don't want to stress him out or anything.

Also, are silvertip tetras ok to put in with a betta? I was considering the neon tetras or glowlites but I really like the silvertips.
SKAustin is offline   Reply With Quote