Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #1 
PaulO

Question Tank Troubles

Well I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I had bought a 10 gallon tank for a stand I bought a month back. Well come to find there is a lot of room left (by lot I mean a good 5- 6 inches.) Anyway I went online and I saw that I could fit a nice 20 gallon on it. So here's where I would like to get some input. Do you guys think I should return the tank or keep it? I got it for like 15 $ at petsmart just the aquarium. And should I possibly think about getting the 20 gallon. I was thinking of setting up a sorority and the extra room might allow for more tank mates, therefore spreading out aggression. Any input is awesome. I just want some advice, I just started getting into fish about 2-3 months ago, and I've had male bettas throughout my child hood ( In one gallon bowls...I know I'm a horrible person) But I've just purchased 2 little female bettas who I have quarantined right now, I will put a divider in the tank and wait until I have like 4-6 fish before I introduce them into a sorority. Any advice on how to ease into this task would be appreciated. Also I am having a hard time finding filters for bettas with low or adjustable flow rates. Thanks!!!
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Hey there PaulO :)

Well that certainly is lucky, finding out you can fit a bigger tank on your stand! Personally if I had the option, I'd go for a 20 over a 10, especially when we're talking about a Sorority; more space is always better. As for taking back the 10 gallon.....thats all up to you. If you have the time/extra space/funds to set up both a 10 and a 20(or if you think you'll want to set up the 10 later) then you could keep the 10 and go snag a 20....though if you're just looking to deal with one new tank, you can take the 10 back and get a 20.....all up to you really.
Because I'm a crazy fish lady, I'd probably keep the 10, go get a 20, and set up the 10 later/gradually put it together when I had the funds. But thats just me xD

Here is our sticky about Sororities http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402 if you haven't already read that over. Besides the original post, there are several pages of people asking questions and giving advice about setting up Sororities, and you can also search the forum for posts other users had made. Theres TONS of fantastic Sorority information on this forum alone, and lots of experienced keepers willing to answer any specific questions you might have about setting one up. ;)
Read all you can! Theres no such thing as too much research~

As far as filters go, I'm partial to your standard HOB(Hang on Back)filter(Aqueon is a favorite brand of mine, though I have a Top Fin in my 10 that I'm liking quite a bit as well)with a baffle. There are a couple ways you can go about baffling your filter to help slow the water flow for your bettas; you can cut out the toe of a pair of pantyhose and secure it over the outflow with a rubber band, or get some filter sponge and secure it the same way over the outflow. You can also secure a some pantyhose over the intake of the filter so no one gets sucked into it(I've had troubles with that in the past, so I do that with all my tanks now)and I find that helps slow the outflow a little as well.
Aqueon filters tend to have a stronger outflow IME, but I've had luck with a filter sponge+pantyhose combo over the outflow.

I hope that helped a little and answered some questions, feel free to ask anything else that comes to mind. :) Best of luck!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I would take it back and get the 20 gallon since you know you have room for it.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 
teeneythebetta

I agree, 20 gal sounds awesome!! You could put about 10 girls in there comfortably, although you only need 4. (:

As for the filter- you can baffle the filter if the output is too strong... http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #5 
PaulO

Thanks for the input, I think I will hold on to the 10 gallon. I definately wants a bigger aquarium so there is more room for the fish and so ammonia levels wont get too high fast. The only thing that still really makes me think is the filters, I might just put one sponge and 1 hob but I guess I'll just see once I put the fish in and decide if there should be a sponge filter to help disturb the surface for oxygen. Anyway thanks and I'll just see where it goes from here.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

With a Sorority, you need to fish less cycle before getting girls...
It not only is safer for them but you won't have to do 100% water changes, which would be tough with 20 gallons of water.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #7 
goldfishyman

You can do a fish in cycle. Just dose the tank with ammo lock. It will make the ammonia harmless to fish but the filter will still break in using the ammonia. Ammonia will still show up in your tests but will be rendered harmless by the ammo lock. Test kits do not know the difference between ammonia and ammonium.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #8 
teeneythebetta

Or Seachem prime water conditioner. I use that because my tap has ammonia in it, so it is safe until my cycled filter processes it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #9 
megaredize

I would keep both if you can and do the sorority in 20 gallon and i would divide the 10 gallon and put two males in it. OR if you cant keep both then take back the 10 and do the 20 sorority
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #10 
goldfishyman

Find a Marineland tank with built in bio-wheel and light. I have a 37 gallon Marineland tank for my sorority tank. I got the tank from petsmart for 79 + tax with everything in it(hood, filter, light). I just reduced the intake tube hole with teflon tape and I have a nice low current tank with no filter hanging off the back.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote