Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #1 
Pasdio

New Aquarium Help?

Hi guys!

I just wanted some reassurance that I'm making sure the new tanks I got for my betta are up to snuff. (They're currently living in little bowls, terrible I know but I couldn't get them proper tanks until I got the money.)

Anyway, the new tanks are currently cycling, I boiled all the rocks/gravel I got. (The gravel had been sitting in my uncle's garage for who knows how long.) And I took some plants from his established tank. I did however rinse most of the gunk/gravel out of the roots though...
To put it simply I don't know much about cycling a tank and I just wanna make sure that everything will be fine for my fish when I move them in on Sunday. Do you think I should snag some water from my uncles tank and mix it in? Or is the plant carrying enough on it to help the good bacteria start growing?
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:47 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It depend Betta minimum 5 gallons and they need filter and heater and surface access fish less cycling does nothing you need a source of ammonia for the bacteria to grow.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #3 
Pasdio

I've heard (From here...) they can live in a minimum of 2 gallons. And I do have a heater, filter and surface access.
And I've read into some fishless cycles that all you need is media/gavel from an established tank which is why I was curious as to whether the plants would be enough. And the tank I have is much too small to add any tank mates.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 AM   #4 
magnum

What size tank do you have? If it's under 5 gallons, I don't think it would be worth cycling, as you will be cleaning it every week, so you can't really establish one.

I'm pretty sure for the cycle you need to do PH testing and all to make sure it's at its required levels and so forth. I'm no expert though.

Quote:
a minimum of 2 gallons.
Sure, your betta can live in a minimum of two gallons, as long as you do your water changes and have a heater.

I can't wait to see your new fish!
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 AM   #5 
Pasdio

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum View Post
What size tank do you have? If it's under 5 gallons, I don't think it would be worth cycling, as you will be cleaning it every week, so you can't really establish one.
Both are two gallons, and I have a water and everything. But like I said I'm still super new aquariums and I just wanna make sure I'm doing it right.
As for water changes, about how much?

[Sorry for all the questions. D:]
Old 08-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #6 
magnum

For two gallons I'd recommend either two 50% changes a week or one 100% water change a week. Don't worry about asking questions, I'm more than happy to answer them!
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

At your local pet store they will sell the supplies you need those bacteria kits and ammonia sources wait a week and then change the water every week but smaller tanks shorten lifespan and need more work and the smallest possible for a non distributor is 2.5. not to be rude but a 2 gallon is out of your league a 5 gallon would be less work but it caan be done also make sure the water is around 80F and no strong currents what kind of Betta do you have.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 08-29-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

The smaller the tank the harder it is to cycle, I just cycled my 5 gallon and it took a month and half doing a fish in cycle. You would need a good water test kit like the API Master Water testing kit. Ammonia will build up quick in 2 gallons I would do at least 3 50 percent and 1 100 percent per week, you might be able to get by with less but you really need a ammonia test to be sure and the kit I mentioned has the tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate plus a ph test, amazon has the best prices on these if you can order on line. The test strips are no good I tried those first and wasted my money on them. Good luck and ask as many questions are you need to !

The good bacteria doesnt live in the water so getting some of his water will not help and the plants might have a some on them but not enough but may help abit. The good bacteria lives on the filter mostly along with the gravel, decorations, plants and even the walls of the tank, they are sticky or slimy that is why they cling to those things.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 08-29-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

those bacteria have dead bacteria in them they cause ammonia and new bacteria but anyways you are probably not expedienced enough to keep it in there.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #10 
babystarz

You actually can cycle a small tank, but you cannot do 100% water changes. You'll have to do either two 50% changes or 3 30% changes per week.

And it is true that bettas can do fine in a 2 gallon tank, but trust me, it's a pain in the butt to do those water changes all the time.

You might want to add a bit of fish food as a source of ammonia for the plants until the fish are added.

You're going to need a water testing kit to know if your tank has cycled. You can either borrow the filter from another tank or some gravel if you want to establish some bacteria, but you definitely shouldn't add the fish before the tank has cycled if you do this. You don't know how many of the bacteria will die off and affect the tank chemistry.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new to aquariums, novice