Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #11 
xjenuhfur

I have 2 tanks (working on the 3rd) in my dorm room. Each of my roomies has betta fish. I have Goblin in a 2.5 $15 tank from petsmart. It fits well on my windowsill and he's bubble nesting like crazy in it. It doesn't come with a hood, it's just a glass lid. But it works and it a good size for the dorms.

The other tank I have is a baby biorb. I love it, but don't buy it. The accessories are expensive and they aren't selling the filter kits and whatnot in stores anymore.

The tank I'm in the process of doing is a 10gallon kit I got from petco for $40. Most dorms have a gallon limit for how big your tanks can get. Our max is 10gallons. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #12 
Alcemistnv

My max is 10 as well, and I'm currently at 7 (5 gallon and the 2 gallon).

I have a 1 gallon but it's currently my storage holder. PLUS they can't claim anything is an "illegal" item unless they are doing health and safety checks. Technically, I can say Buddha's is a 1 gal and get away with it.

Could I see the 2.5 one you are talking about?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #13 
Alcemistnv

I just ppurchased the Marineland tank, being that it had the best reviews and seemed to be more comfortable with me.

It should be here in about a week :D
Old 08-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #14 
Frazzle

Mini Bow 2.5

~$30

Comes with light, filter, and its acrylic.

I think they have a mini bow 3 and a 5
Frazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #15 
kimmysticks

I have the Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 gallon also. I like it so far but it's only been a little while! I paid about 34.99 for it at my local PetSmart. I think one of these days I will get something a little bigger/more stylish but for now I am pretty happy with this tank!

Edit: Oops, I see you already bought one! That one looks really nice though!
kimmysticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #16 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I just ppurchased the Marineland tank, being that it had the best reviews and seemed to be more comfortable with me.

It should be here in about a week :D
Ooh exciting, can't wait to see it all set up and decorated :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #17 
Alcemistnv

thanks everyone :)

And I think my next small tank will be a Mini bow.

I honestly have no idea what I'm doing for this tank XD
I don't have that much decor, nor do I really have a lot of money :/

As a matter of fact,, I have zero decor and maybe $5 left...
Old 08-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #18 
notsabrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Of all my tanks, by far my favorite small one is this one. Both the 3 gal and the 5 gal are on sale:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...lmdn=Fish+Sale

The lighting feature is perfect, the shape of the tank is great, and I love that the cover is plastic too, it just makes it feel more open and less boxy than your standard rectangular tank.
I agree with babystarz! I also have the Marineland Crescent tank in the 5 gallon and I absolutely love it. The style is very open and modern, and the shape is super compact. The whole tank looks so sleek in my room! I purchased mine in-store at Petsmart. It helps to sign up for the free rewards card, I find myself making pretty frequent trips for extra equipment.

Some cons that I've personally encountered:
  • Because of the heater, the condensation builds up and fogs the lid. My betta isn't much of a jumper, so whenever I'm in the room with him I'll just take off the lid completely. I prefer this lid over black bulky lids on a standard aquarium.
  • The Whisper filter that comes with the tank is a little too big for my liking, BUT I can't complain since it was provided with tank (one less thing I had to buy). IMO the filter is super quiet as opposed to what other reviews on the website have said. If you purchase it and hear a loud "buzz" just slightly move the wiring away from the filter.
  • There's a bit of a current from the filter that will push your betta slightly downwards when s/he swims beneath it. If you fill your tank water right up to the lip it diffuses the current. Or you can just put a lot of plants below the suction so not as much water comes out of the top.
Aside from that, I love the Marineland Crescent. Good luck finding your tank! (Edit: Oops, didn't see that you already bought it! Cool!)

Here's mine after I did a 100% water change and redecorated before my trip to Disneyland!

Last edited by notsabrina; 08-30-2012 at 04:20 PM.
notsabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #19 
babystarz

A couple of free decor ideas:

- find some nice smooth rocks outside. After initially scrubbing off the dirt, boil them and then bake them on a cookie sheet at 450 degrees for at least 20 minutes (and then don't touch them for a good long time). This will kill off anything that the rock could be carrying in the way of bacteria/viruses. You could even find a rock that has cavelike spots in it. And a lot of rocks with quartz in them look stunningly beautiful underwater.

- Tip a ceramic or plastic cup on its side for a temporary cave/hiding spot. Just make sure it's never been washed with soap.

I can't think of anything in place of plants, but your fish will be ok with a single 99 cent plastic plant until you have the funds to add more :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #20 
xjenuhfur

I think you can have as many tanks as you want, I think that the largest tank you can have in general is a 10gal. :)
link to tank
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote