Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #1 
fairy74

Wondering what have i done.

Feeling nervous and worried about the sorority i am about to embark on.

The four in the 30 gallon are settled and seem pretty happy with each other..the three in the 7 gallon,well one of them is sweet and the other two are fighting it out still(not overly agressive though)but one in particular is feisty.

One is in a 1 gallon..she seems nosey and strong.

One in half gallon is a bit shy but gets all antsy when she sees the other girl in her tank.

Put them all together and im scared of such differing personalities.

The 7 gallon will be on reserve,but how long do you think i should wait before i interfere?
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #2 
tpocicat

As long as there are plenty of places for them to hide, there shouldn't be a problem. That being said, if one of the females won't leave the others alone after they have submitted, say 20-30 minutes, take the alpha out. Of course then you may have another female that wants to be alpha.
I've been lucky, I've never had to take a really agressive female out of my soroity tank.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #3 
fairy74

Its funny how attached you get to the girls and their ways,thats what makes me feel guilty for disrupting their routines lol.

Before this forum i would have probably just bought them and thought nothing of it(pet shops will say anything)but now its a mission..i have bought seven from the pet shop and two from a breeder as you cannot get a red or yellow from a pet store here.

I have all the girls i want and now have to decide who goes in first.
Should i wait for a while between adding the girls?
I want it to be as smooth as possible.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #4 
Pilot00

Dont mind me just subscribing

A sorority is on my to do list so any info would be invaluable.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Do you mean you only have three females in the 7 gallon now? Bad idea. The two dominant females will either spend all their time attacking each other or continually harass the least aggressive female.

I would just put everyone in together. I think you will find your fears will be greatly unfounded as once the initial period of aggresion is over, most females tend to live in relative peace. This is provided you have the tank set-up appropriately for a sorority.

I usually separate out any extreme aggressors by putting them in a breeders' net inside the sorority. This allows them to become accustomed to the presence of the other females and I find once they have been in there for a week or so they are usually much less inclined to attack everyone.

Of course there will be the odd female every now and then who is completely unsuitable for sorority life (either because they are being a bully or because they are being bullied), but I have only had one or two of these out of around the 50 females I've owned.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #6 
fairy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Do you mean you only have three females in the 7 gallon now? Bad idea. The two dominant females will either spend all their time attacking each other or continually harass the least aggressive female.

I would just put everyone in together. I think you will find your fears will be greatly unfounded as once the initial period of aggresion is over, most females tend to live in relative peace. This is provided you have the tank set-up appropriately for a sorority.

I usually separate out any extreme aggressors by putting them in a breeders' net inside the sorority. This allows them to become accustomed to the presence of the other females and I find once they have been in there for a week or so they are usually much less inclined to attack everyone.

Of course there will be the odd female every now and then who is completely unsuitable for sorority life (either because they are being a bully or because they are being bullied), but I have only had one or two of these out of around the 50 females I've owned.
All the girls are now in the 30G...only two from the 7 gallon though as one turned out to be a boy...long story.
For now all is well,just the usual flaring and chasing so far.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #7 
babystarz

I've noticed that it's hard to predict how girls will act in a larger group based on their individual personalities. The fish I thought would be the most submissive in my sorority actually have ended up as the alphas in my tank, and they're also the smallest!

Of the 6 girls I put in my sorority, I only had to remove one and it wasn't because she was being aggressive. It was because she was depressed and mopey and I could tell she just hated it. So that is something to watch for too.

Also, the initial nipping should be the worst of the conflicts, resolving within about 24-48. During this time, check on the fish regularly. Especially for the first few hours, make sure you're checking in every 15 minutes. If you are seeing big fights or injuries after the first two days, you may have a fish that is too aggressive for group living.

Keep a turkey baster on hand - it is really great for breaking up tiffs that seem to be getting intense. Just squirt water towards the fish and they will separate. Of course, the fish need to establish their pecking order so don't use it every time they meet up, just if it looks like one fish is really picking on another.

Pay attention at feeding time too - I had a scare with one of my girls the other day because she ate up all the food in a bid for dominance, got seriously bloated and wasn't well for a day. She has recovered fine, but now I'm more careful to distribute food right in front of each fish and counting exactly how much they're eating.

I do not recommend waiting in between adding girls to the tank; you don't one any one fish thinking they own a section of the tank and getting super territorial over it as more fish are added. Most people prefer adding the fish that seem the most docile/submissive first so they have a chance to hide, but go ahead and plop them in one right after another.

It's also a good idea to time the sorority adding in the late afternoon, so they have a few hours of daylight but then plenty of darkness to rest in. When they can't see each other, it's much harder for them to fight and get stressed out.

Edit: Just realized you already added them, so disregard my advice about that!
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #8 
Pilot00

No need to disregard. I have taken my notes from your post babystarz!
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote