Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #1 
Sanguinefox
Banned

Advice on possible tank mates

Recently I broke down my old 5 gallon betta tank and upgraded (cloned it) into a 20 gallon long. One of the things I am interested in is getting a few more fish in this tank. However I'd like advice on what people have had success with and what people advice to stay away from.

Here is a picture of the tank:

There will be a better light that sits in a nice hood come Sat once I get it back from someone. The water is soft, and the substrate is Eco Complete Plant Substrate.

I am running a kind of a sponge filter that I put together to one side:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPOt7T75UZw
A few people and I have talked and we seem to agree that this probably is functioning as a sponge filter thought the original intent was to control the bubbles so I have a circulation that doesn't bother/stress my Betta. I will be getting new black cardboard to put on the back of the tank. I am using what was on the 5 gallon till I get more.

There are multiple plants in this tank as I prefer to keep planted tanks. There is Hydro Willow, Cabomba, Water Sprite, Riccia, Java Moss, Water Wisteria, Red Ludwegia, and even two little Cuban Ludwegia bits I rescued from the big tank when they snapped off the parents.

So that's the basics of the tank. One of the things I'd like to potentially put in is a school of Harlequin Rasbora. I am aware you do not want any fish that have trailing fins or is very colorful sharing space with a potentially aggressive betta.
Sanguinefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hi Sang! Lurking around the betta section.
Rasbora are super peaceful and are a good choice. There are harlequins which are larger, and lambchops/espei which are smaller. They both look pretty similar. You could also try hatchet fish.
Tetra are sort of a 50/50, sometimes they get mean, but a good group and well planted tank are helpful for preventing aggression.
I'd probably get one school for the mid section and something else for the bottom.

You could do a couple farlowellas (you likie!). You've got gravel going on there so kuhli loaches or cories probably aren't the best choice. Though the kuhlis would enjoy your acidic water.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #3 
Sanguinefox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Hi Sang! Lurking around the betta section.
Rasbora are super peaceful and are a good choice. There are harlequins which are larger, and lambchops/espei which are smaller. They both look pretty similar. You could also try hatchet fish.
Tetra are sort of a 50/50, sometimes they get mean, but a good group and well planted tank are helpful for preventing aggression.
I'd probably get one school for the mid section and something else for the bottom.

You could do a couple farlowellas (you likie!). You've got gravel going on there so kuhli loaches or cories probably aren't the best choice. Though the kuhlis would enjoy your acidic water.
I'm really partial the idea of a school of Rasbora. I don't have any schooling fish at all. It would be a nice change to have a school of something in this tank since I have non-schooling predator type fish in my bigger one.

I like the idea of the Farlowellas but I will have to wait quite a while to ensure the tank is stable (they need well established tanks) and I think I'd have to get additional drift-wood. Upside is a betta couldn't possibly harm a Farlowella and they wouldn't much bother a betta either.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, wait on the farlowella. The rasbora would do fine in your tank as it is. I think the smaller type might be a bit more delicate, but you could have a bigger group of them.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:10 PM   #5 
Sanguinefox
Banned

Quote:
Yea, wait on the farlowella. The rasbora would do fine in your tank as it is. I think the smaller type might be a bit more delicate, but you could have a bigger group of them.
How many I wonder? I know of two places I can get them. I've read in some places online that a shoal should be around 8 or more. Others say they can be in as little as a group of 3(don't trust that though).

Last edited by Sanguinefox; 08-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

For the espei, I'd probably start with a good 9-10 of them for a grand effect. Might limit you to one farlowella later on, I'd watch nitrate levels to see how it goes. If your nitrates aren't skyrocketing between water changes I think you'll be fine. That's why it's safer to have more fish in a well planted tank.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #7 
Sanguinefox
Banned

Quote:
For the espei, I'd probably start with a good 9-10 of them for a grand effect. Might limit you to one farlowella later on, I'd watch nitrate levels to see how it goes. If your nitrates aren't skyrocketing between water changes I think you'll be fine. That's why it's safer to have more fish in a well planted tank.
I'll give it several weeks for everything to run and see how things go before adding any new fish. Kind of have to at this point since my big male moonlight Gourami is coloring up to a nice orange which are breeding colors. If I end up with fry I'd like to be able to raise them in the 20 gallon via a fry box, or a divider if necessary.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh, gourami babies! Wouldn't want those near Queen!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #9 
Sanguinefox
Banned

Quote:
Oh, gourami babies! Wouldn't want those near Queen!
Posted via Mobile Device
Absolutely not. D: