Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #11 
ameliagypsy

:(

Now that I look at a progression of pictures, I think its fin rot. Here are three pictures from when I got him (August 3rd) to August 22 to tonight. Sorry for the pictures being so large, posting pictures here is new to me. Seeing the deterioration of his fins make me sad. I hope I can help him recover.
Attached Images

ameliagypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #12 
lvandert

in the second you can start to see fuzzy little balls at the ends of his tail, thats a fungus. In the third you can see the fuzzy layer over his fins and their "melted" together (just means stuck together). You can go two ways here. 1 get a fungus cure and treat him with medicine (avoid the "fixes" they have mixed results) or 2 treat with aq salt (1/2 tsp per gallon), stress coat (1 ml per gallon) and lots of water changes. The first will help clear his fins up in about a week, the second method will take about a week and a half but is more natural. I have no preference as to which method is best, both will work wonders.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #13 
ameliagypsy

Another update

Well today he is laying on his side and I'm worried he won't make it Lesson learned but it will really suck to have learned at bettas expense. I will be able to go by Petco or Petsmart after work... what meds are best? The only ones I have are the dreaded "fixes". If he does happen to pass, do I need to sanitize the tank before getting a new buddy?

P.S. thank you for all the help. This fish community is so supportive and willing to help novices like myself! It's pretty awesome!
Old 09-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #14 
lvandert

I would say API but they come in packets of powder that are dosed for 10 gallons. Tetraguard has one too but those are tablets dosed for ten gallons. You'll just have to look and see what works for you.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #15 
Silverfang

That could be fin biting or fin blow out. It is possible

He does not look like he's happy or well. How much AQ salt are you treating him with? 1/tsp gal? I'm not sure what else to recommend, I'll ask Sakura to take a look.

Should the worst happen, scalding hot water and vinegar 1:10 ratio vinegar to water should be sufficient. Or bleach, not sure on the exact ratio, but I sanitized a QT tank and used 1 tablespoon to a half gal. No trouble with the newest inhabitant.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #16 
ameliagypsy

salt

I used 2 tsps of salt for 5 gallons.

I like the vinegar better than bleach... never done it before and for some reason putting my tank stuff in bleach (even incredibly diluted) makes me uneasy. Should I trash the gravel? I have several brand new bags as well as two established tanks I can take seed gravel from.

I am debating between several medications: Maracyn 2, Tetra Lifeguard All in One, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa and Kardon Rid Fungus. Anyone used these before?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Hi Amelia and welcome to te forum. Looks like he might have been a fin biter as Silverfang suggested but it ma be creeping toward rot. Since you have no live plants, I'd suggest 10-14 days of AQ salt at 1tsp per gallon and twice weekly water changes to keep the water super clean. When you do water changes, keep track of how much water you take out so you know how much salt to replace. Never replace the full amount of salt unless you've taken 100% of the water out.

If he doesn't perk up in a few days we can try a med.

Good snail for algae in a 5 gal: nerite snail.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #18 
ameliagypsy

Unhappy :(

He's barely hanging on. He's floating at the top on his side and has some fuzzy white things on his now barely there tail. Poor guy

Thank you to all who took time out of your day to help me with this, I really appreciate it. This is an awesome forum and I can't believe it took me this long to become a member and start posting.

I have a few questions regarding cycling and cleaning after disease but I will post them on the proper threads. Once again, thank you for the help!
Old 09-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #19 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear that, Amelia. If you need any more help with him don't hesitate to ask.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote