Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Do Bubblenests Actually Mean Happiness? Look Here for the Truth!

Do Bettas actually make bubblenests because they're happy?
Well, there are other reasons such as perfect water conditions, ready to breed, protecting territory, instinct, because they love you, etc.
The answer is no. They don't make bubblenests because they're happy. Nor perfect water conditions or because they love you and are very comfortable.

It's just their instinct. It just means they're ready to breed and claiming/protecting territory. Period. No happiness, no "Perfect" water conditions, just instinct. Bettas sometimes make them when they're sick even. But most of the time, they don't have the motivation under all the stress.

This is not an opinion BTW. It's fact. To sum it up, here are some quick questions and answers that you may ask about the nests are why.
. Why do Bettas make these bubblenests?
Bettas are aphrophils'. They are one of the many fish that make these nests for breeding and territory reasons.

. Do female Bettas make bubblenests?
Some do. Some don't. They usually make them when they're eggy but that's pretty uncommon. Maybe YOUR female Betta is one of them. ;)

. Why isn't my Betta making nests? Does s/he not feel it's territory?
Some Bettas don't even make 6 bubbles together, let alone a whole surface of them. Bettas are living species, and you can't make them make nests. The point is that some Bettas make them and some do not.

This is not a way to discourage or make any member feel bad, this is just fact. The truth is the truth and I'm sorry if you thought that it meant they were happy, it doesn't.

Feel free to post your Betta's bubblenest. :) We'd all love to see how your Betta is ready to breed, or protecting territory, or even just plain instinct. Post anything about these nests actually, feel free.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yes so true my male rarely makes those nests and he lives in a heated filtered ten gallon. The pet store uses it to say small bowls that are cold unfiltered are okay it seems still water encourages mine just an observation. Bowl keepers think if there nearly dead fish makes a nest it is healthy I have heard of practically dead fish in pet stores bubble nesting.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, they sometimes make them. I've heard this Betta had an extreme case of velvet and it nested. But it died. :'( Bubblenests just happen. But there are *some* assumes and guesses.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Different Bettas have different bubble nesting triggers some when they see a female some when healthy some randomly all after maturity never heard of females bubble nesting my male probably does not make them because a cut above his mouth do you think that is it he used to make them then stopped he is perfectly healthy bubble nesting only means they is alive.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #5 
Bettanewbie60

My female, Bella, made this one today...tonight she is dropping eggs and feasting on them!
Name:  010 (600x450).jpg
Views: 309
Size:  27.6 KB
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Different Bettas have different bubble nesting triggers some when they see a female some when healthy some randomly all after maturity never heard of females bubble nesting my male probably does not make them because a cut above his mouth do you think that is it he used to make them then stopped he is perfectly healthy bubble nesting only means they is alive.
Maybe... Yep. Females sometimes make nests, it's true. Sorry about your male. That might be the problem, can he still move it? Well, of course he can, he needs to eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
My female, Bella, made this one today...tonight she is dropping eggs and feasting on them!
Attachment 63594
That's a BIG nest! Wow, Lebron's nests look so wimpy. :') Is she next to any boys?
Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow thank you I thought females making nests were just males thought to be females but I was wrong can you believe some pets stores sell males as females. Nice female I love my female are those real or fake plants if so what kind. Yes have had him a while he is active and healthy I wonder if the scar is responsible for his aggression but he is lovely he loves his mixed diet. thank you for asking

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 08-30-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, pet stores can be a pain. :I Well, I hope he makes one soon!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #9 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Maybe... Yep. Females sometimes make nests, it's true. Sorry about your male. That might be the problem, can he still move it? Well, of course he can, he needs to eat.

That's a BIG nest! Wow, Lebron's nests look so wimpy. :') Is she next to any boys?
She has no view of the boys...I have a piece of cardboard blocking her view lol...and yeah, it was a nice nest...better than most of my guys have made so far!
Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Wow thank you I thought females making nests were just males thought to be females but I was wrong can you believe some pets stores sell males as females. Nice female I love my female are those real or fake plants if so what kind. Yes have had him a while he is active and healthy I wonder if the scar is responsible for his aggression but he is lovely he loves his mixed diet. thank you for asking
Thanks...she is my only female..and she's beautiful. Those are fake plants...silk like ones from Petsmart.