Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #1 
goldfishyman

Wanted Daphnia and Grindal worm culture.

I need daphnia and grindal worm cultures. I have vinegar eels, micro worms or flightless fruit flies I can trade or I'm willing to buy.

Best if you live in or close to Washington state.

Thanks
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Check your local pond just fill a cup with water pond water has Daphnia it would be cheaper.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #3 
goldfishyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Check your local pond just fill a cup with water pond water has Daphnia it would be cheaper.
Tried that but the pond near my house only has leeches. lol
Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfishyman View Post
Tried that but the pond near my house only has leeches. lol
Hope one did not get one stuck websites like eBay and aqua-bid have them you were one step ahead of me and probably still are.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

I just got daphnia eggs from ebay. I'm skeptical :/ but we'll see what happens. there's a $15 culture from craigslist, but I really dont want to pay for an overpriced bottle of mini crustaceans.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
I just got daphnia eggs from ebay. I'm skeptical :/ but we'll see what happens. there's a $15 culture from craigslist, but I really dont want to pay for an overpriced bottle of mini crustaceans.
Right before winter strikes they lay eggs they last a while when summer comes they are all females and keep breeding pathogenic without eggs then before winter they create males to breed with and lay eggs. Oh and glad you found some.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #7 
goldfishyman

I've tried 2 different online websites. I emailed both and got no response even though they said they would respond within 24 hrs to all emails. So if they can't take the time to email back then I'm not ordering. If you get your ebay order let me know. I already got burned on ebay for grindal worms. I have flightless fruit flies but had to drive to another state to get them.

I'm not sure but after feeding my females in the sorority my water got cloudy and I lost 1 male dumbo plakat. One of my favorite betas. Maybe something about the fruit fly upset his system. He refused to eat for 2 days and then I found him dead. He was munching on the fruit flies the previous week.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #8 
goldfishyman

Ordered a culture of Daphnia 2 sizes. One for adults and one for fry. I bought a shelving system and lights to keep my cultures going during the winter. I just hope the algae doesn't stink up the house. lol

Still a pain in the butt trying to find some grindal worms.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 AM   #9 
CandiceMM

Hi fellow Washingtonian!!! I read that you have vinegar eels, would you sell a culture? I have been looking at LFS and they don't carry them. I would like to get locally but will last resort online :)
CandiceMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #10 
goldfishyman

Hi Candice,
I have 4 jars going. I'm from the Issaquah area. Do you want a starter culture or do you need worms now to feed fry? We could meet in Issaquah and get you what you need.