Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Exclamation Help my brother did it!

Okay so i am sitting in the living room and my brother comes in and goes into my room okay thats normal he always goes in there to pet the rabbit give him carrots and what not anyways he comes into the living room and says 'hey shae did you feed your fish' and i said no i just said hi [which is the first thing i do when i get home] he says okay and goes into his room he comes out a few minutes and says 'hey shae can bettas live with other fish?' and i say certain ones and he says oh okay and your cats litter box needs to be cleaned so i go into my room and get this my brother had just been down at the creek and he caught a sucker fish type thing and stuck it in my fish tank! help me please what should i do after the thing scared me to death my brother entered the room hearing my screaming and said 'do like him' i started crying for my fishes safety any ways my brother reached his arms into my tank grabs the fish and takes him outside and sticks it in our water barrel that has 4-5 others in it i took Magic [my fish who i love to death] out and slowly got him use to my small tank that has water that is treated for diseases incase of emergency it has never been used anyways please help me his 10 gal smell like fish slime and has a lot of cat hair in it because my brother stuck the net in it and my cat had a nap on it or something what do i do help me! i don't know how to make his 10 gal safe what do i do?
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 AM   #2 
prodrumernate

im sure its already cycled and u dont want to go through the hassle of cycling it..

i would turn the heater up on it.this should help kill anything in it...as well as add about 2 teaspoons of AQ salt that will help prevent against any diseases and parasites.

do water changes everyday.if possible try up to 100%(i know its hard to get the water out the gravel) turn the filter off during each change.considering the filter has BB in it.i would wash it in old tank water and put it back in allowing water to circulate of it..also put fish food in it to give the BB some ammonia to feed off of to keep it alive.

do that id say about a week..that way to clean it out without actually having to redo the cycle and everything.and i say leave the filter on to help suck out cat hair and any other debris that got in it.

since it wasnt in there very long i dont think much of anything from the other fish got in there but rather be safe than sorry...

and doing water changes will help rid of the smell and slim from the other fish..im not expert about that.its my opinion and what id do..ill also do a quick research online and see if i can find anything else..

any1 with expertise on this please correct me or even tell her to ignore me.i just posted it as a means of somewhere to at least start for now.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:16 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

ok, first, dont panic.
Take out the filter and keep running it in a bucket or tub of clean dechlorinated water. This will save your cycle.

Now change out all the water in your tank.
If you can, rinse it out with hot water. Refill with clean dechlorinated water. Place filter back in tank.
Bring temperature back up slowly.

Reacclimatize your betta into the tank.

Edit: It might be a good idea to:
1- put a big sign above yor fish tank that says : "DO NOT TOUCH"
2- Place your stuff where the cat wont sit on it. I like to put all my stuff in a deep skinny container lined with paper towels.

Last edited by ao; 08-31-2012 at 12:19 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:17 AM   #4 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
ok, first, dont panic.
Take out the filter and keep running it in a bucket or tub of clean dechlorinated water. This will save your cycle.

Now change out all the water in your tank.
If you can, rinse it out with hot water. Refill with clean dechlorinated water. Place filter back in tank.
Bring temperature back up slowly.

Reacclimatize your betta into the tank.
sounds easier and better than what i posted...id have to agree :)
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 AM   #5 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Thank you so much i can't stand my brother and the fish he put in was big over half the lenghth of my 10 gal!!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
Thank you so much i can't stand my brother and the fish he put in was big over half the lenghth of my 10 gal!!
Lol, maybe you guys can have it for dinner :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #7 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I'll do a complete water change and i'll post pics of the fish he put in my tank tomorrow and Magic is happy you are trying to help!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:31 AM   #8 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

And i do not want to eat the fish but i probably could lol thanks for your help :)