Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #1 
Bettafish

Plant q's

So i broke down and bought another betta after i had to put down my last one. So now i have a female betta and shrimp.

Anywho. Im here to ask what sort of plants i can have in my filtered ten gallon tank. It receaves i think a mediu amount of light during the day.

Thisll be my first time trying a plant so maybe something easy and rewarding?

Also over time im going with an oriental theme to the tank so ill slowly be changing the silk plants and decor to oriental themed. So if theres a plant that could possibly "look" more oriental thatd be nice to. Red would be a good color.

Ive heard of two lants so far that are easy to take care of. duckweed and dwarf grass? some sort of grass.

Lastly i was thinking of a mismo ball thing but since i have baffled my filter there is stong surface current so i thought the moss ball would just get banged around too much.
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #2 
TheShadyBird

Hornwort and Anacharis are pretty darn hardy, and don't require much attention. They both grow super fast too, which is handy :]
TheShadyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I'm a big fan of Anubias. They come in small medium and large as well as long-leaf. They require little care, don't need much light. You can tie them to a rock or wood, or leave them to float as topcover, shade and Betta bunks. Can't kill'em.

Wisteria is another you can plant or float that eats ammonia. Fish like to wiggle into to sleep.

Duckweed can become messy. Every time you reach into the tank for maintenance, the stuff sticks to your arms.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #4 
registereduser

I love moss balls but they can be expensive. Online is probably cheaper, I read ebay has a seller that is reasonable for moss balls.

They are perfect for an Asian theme especially if you have 2 or 3 in different sizes.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #5 
Bettafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
I love moss balls but they can be expensive. Online is probably cheaper, I read ebay has a seller that is reasonable for moss balls.

They are perfect for an Asian theme especially if you have 2 or 3 in different sizes.
I really want one but like i said the current from my filter would push them around to much.
Does anyone else know a good baffel design for a hang on back filter?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #6 
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I really want one but like i said the current from my filter would push them around to much.
Does anyone else know a good baffel design for a hang on back filter?
I baffled my bettas filters with the zoo med suction cup plants...I just stuck the suction cup to the top of the filter and bent the leaves so that they block the current...works well and give the betta an extra hiding/resting place near the surface.
Anubias,anacharis,banana lilly and anything with "Java" in the front of it is pretty hardy and easy to care for.
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #7 
registereduser

Depending on where you put the balls the current wouldn't move them. Baffling is a good idea anyway, bettas like calm waters.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #8 
Bettafish

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
Depending on where you put the balls the current wouldn't move them. Baffling is a good idea anyway, bettas like calm waters.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Tried it. thats whats giving me the strong surface curent
Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Tried it. thats whats giving me the strong surface curent
Really? huh, worked for me in a 5 gallon and a 20.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #10 
Bettafish

Ill retry it XD i mght have made it wrong