Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #11 
lvandert

Yeah I plan on bringing in water. My water was all good a few days ago when I tested it. It was the first thing I did when fish started getting sick. as for the filter question I have a hot magnum marineland canister filter and micron cartridges are about 18 bucks with tax. I didn't have fish in the tank previously and it has had fish for less than a week.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Ohh just cartridges, I was like JEEZ woman where you getting such cheap filter systems!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #13 
lvandert

lol, i did get the filter it's self for free with the tank.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #14 
MSG

Take a look at this link if you want to pick up another filter

DrF&S are running this summer sale, but I love how they have everything on the page laid out so you can compare the prices between their models.

By having it displayed like this I can make a better decision on which model is right for me. With the extra information I have no problem paying a few dollars extra for a more powerful filter or one that has an extra FEATURE like water flow control.

Water control is a really nice feature that all filters SHOULD have.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-s...3578/3579/3608
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #15 
lvandert

I do have a HOB 15 gallon filter as well on this tank but it just has a sponge media in it.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Since this is a brand new set up and I am going to assume not fully cycled...It isn't the fish store fault the fish are dieing per se'.....

This is a common mistake hobbyist make-they buy an instant cycle product and then fully stock the tank-then within 24 hours you start to see fish dropping dead or getting sick.....

What I would recommend-take most of the fish back and get your money back-except for a single species of at least 6+fish-that seem to be the healthiest to use for the fish-in cycle. Then cycle the tank-get another bucket or tank-add a sponge filter and add the second healthiest school for QT-In about 4 weeks-acclimate these to the tank-Repeat the QT process with the next group you want to add-By QT'ing for at least 4 weeks before adding more fish will allow the beneficial bacteria to colonize in great enough number to prevent the deadly spikes. Or you can mass plant the tank to assist with water quality issue, however, it is strongly recommend that you QT any new fish before adding to the tank.

Even when fish are kept at the fish store all in the same water with the same filtration going equally in all the different tanks-Its the stress that weaken their immune response-they are chased, netted, bagged, travel from the store to your home (often improperly) then tossed into a new environment and water chemistry-usually they are already pretty stressed and in a weakened state at the pet shop from the overcrowded conditions and if wild caught species probably have not eaten...All of this can send them over the edge...so its not always the fish shops fault...its a combination of everything....

Also, regarding your stocking-Its best to only stock 1-2 of the mid level schooler in higher numbers than to stock a bunch of different schooling species in smaller number-Same with the top and bottom dwelling species-more numbers and less species....It will look much better....

Can you post a pic of your tank and list the species of fish....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #17 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What OFL said was exactly what I was thinking.
You really need to test your water.

Even if those cycling products do work (and certain brands do..) you still have to stock lightly in the beginning.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #18 
lvandert

When I set it up with the live bacteria (drtims nitrifying bacteria http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/One-...aria-_p_3.html ) I had let it run about a week before putting fish in, a different pet store recommended only letting it run "for a few days" without the bacteria would be ok. I just kinda shook my head and ignored that. I started with 3 hatchet fish (planned on finished that school off), 8 neon terats, 5 black neon tetras and 5 rasboras (they schooled together quite well so I didn't plan on adding any numbers there), and then I started with 5 tiger barbs but bumped their numbers up to 8 due to recommendations from here. This is what the tank looks like. This is before fish but nothing had changed. All decorations were washed and test soaked, the sand was "scrubbed" of excess dirt and I spent another week testing the rocks and having a few geologist friends look at them.

Mind you the second after I put my fish in the tank i noticed two had fuzzies around their mouth (cotton mouth) hence why I'm more mad at the petstore for selling sick fish. so their not mysteriously dying off, I know whats killing them.
Attached Images

Last edited by lvandert; 08-31-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #19 
lvandert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
What OFL said was exactly what I was thinking.
You really need to test your water.

Even if those cycling products do work (and certain brands do..) you still have to stock lightly in the beginning.
you posted on my other thread for this tank specifically. I had been testing my waters, everything was good, it's how I knew when my cycle was done. I've tested since the addition of fish too, and it stayed consistant.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:12 PM   #20 
lvandert

I actually just noticed this in this picture while looking back. The normal tiger barb in the middle of the picture has white fuzz on his mouth. I took this picture before they even got released in the tank.
Attached Images