Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

floating betta log!

I got Fishie a floating betta log. He doesn't use his leaf hammock anymore because of the current in the tank from the filter, so I thought maybe he would like a floating log where he would be able to sleep near the surface and not involuntarily float off (he's been sleeping on the bottom since I put him in the new tank with the filter). So I put the floating log in his tank last night and at first, he explored it and wouldn't go in it. Then I happened to look over, and he was staring at me from inside the log. haha. It was so funny.
I don't know if he slept in it though last night, because he hadn't settled down yet when I went to bed, and he was awake before I got up.
Shiny slept sideways on his new leaf hammock in his new tank, though! hehe
I found him sleeping suspended near the surface the other night, so I figured I should get him a hammock! It's so funny how they can sleep floating in just the right place like that.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah my Betta loves to sleep in the log be careful with the leaf hammock I heard the metal bar in the hammock rusting.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:47 AM   #3 
lelei

Oh yes, My Sammy loves, loves his log, and uses is more than his cave now..but It does start to chip paint, be careful, when washing..I have noticed a lot of people complaining of this..and Now I am noticing it myself, I could care less how it looks,

but I hope it's not dangerous to the fish..I wash real good in hot water and dry before putting back in, then it lessens the paint to peel in the water

..but it still will from time to time, and you will see lil black things floating in the water, (rggh,it really stinks) because I cannot keep getting new ones that will do the same thing, and it is his Fave place to rest, and sleep..So, just be wary of that..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I love the Betta log and yours does to but be careful with the hammock it has metal in it and it can rust Mine spends all night in it.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:52 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Oh yes, My Sammy loves, loves his log, and uses is more than his cave now..but It does start to chip paint, be careful, when washing..I have noticed a lot of people complaining of this..and Now I am noticing it myself, I could care less how it looks,

but I hope it's not dangerous to the fish..I wash real good in hot water and dry before putting back in, then it lessens the paint to peel in the water

..but it still will from time to time, and you will see lil black things floating in the water, (rggh,it really stinks) because I cannot keep getting new ones that will do the same thing, and it is his Fave place to rest, and sleep..So, just be wary of that..
I have had mine a bit but it has not leaked paint off.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:46 PM   #6 
teeneythebetta

I had mine for 4 months, it was chipping paint so much that I was just getting irritated. I ended up throwing it away a week ago, I'm trying to find a DIY alternative.
The bettas sure love them tho! :D
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #7 
Silverfang

My girls were fighting for the position in the log. But the paint flaked and chipped. Sadly
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #8 
maggie9059789

yuppers all the zoo med betta leafs have the metal rod thing in the stem that starts rusting. I've talked to them about it and they were nice to keep replacing them (even replacement for the replacement xP lool) but honestly it's not worth it. The bettas really LOVE it but there's that risk of metal poisoning. (which IMO isn't worth it) there's always alternatives like a small silk plant.

Oh but if anyone has found a product that's like the leaf hammock but doesn't rust please tell me, lool i really want one.

Oh and petsmart does sell some plants (silk plants and some plastic) that has metal rods in the stems as well and they start rusting so be careful of that as well.

And as for the betta log, for some people with filters, lool it moves it around and a poor fishy might get kinda "squished" by it when it moves to the side. so u might want to be careful of that haha.

Edit: forgot to mention that zoo med has "tried" to fix the problems from the many complaints (lool like mine xP) and they had tried adding a bit of like seethrough glue to the ends but it still doesnt work (and know from mine STILL rusting) I honestly just give up with their products but that's just me

Last edited by maggie9059789; 09-01-2012 at 01:03 AM.
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #9 
PaintedOaksOki

Zoo med could just put a plastic rod through it instead? xD lol

I'd like to see DIY alternative for the log though!
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:02 AM   #10 
maggie9059789

Thats exactly what I though haha xP. I love the whole "betta leaf idea" but it sucks how the metal rod makes it not fully safe to use.

Ps:Wow I really type a lot, sorry, and I kinda started ranting off topic kinda, sorry about that too xP (my last post)
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote