Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #11 
marktrc

Thanks for all your info. What is your spawning tank set up like? Use a lot of live plants? Snails? Set it up early for insfusoria?
marktrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #12 
bhali333

Here is my setup
Name:  first-breeding-set-up.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  23.0 KB

I used some live plants but I found I needed to remove some because in my opinion when I introduced the female into the tank she had an over abundance of hiding spots and the male lost track of her completely so I put maybe 5 stalks of floating plants in there and it was fine.

I also placed one large "Indian almond leave" into the tank and waited for it to sink to the bottom so that the male would blow his bubble nest under the styrofoam cup and not the almond leave.

Here is the link for a good source of almond leaves I received a bag stuffed with them in like 1 week after I ordered them and the seller is in Thailand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amys-50-LRG-...item58807e233d

I let the tank run for a week with the sponge filter running and everything in place so that when I introduced the breeding pair the temperature was stable and I knew that by the time the fry where ready there would be sufficient infusoria for their first couple of days.

Of course I stopped the sponge filter before introducing the fish to the tank and did not start it again until the fry had been free swimming for 1 week.
bhali333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Looking good. Congrats and keep up the good work.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote