Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #1 
wombatgirl

Filter reccomendations

I'm going to be setting up a new 5 gallon tank, and I need to go get a filter for it. Any reccomendations?

I'd prefer something good, not amazingly expensive, and able to be purchased at a PetSmart or WalMart - but I will go elsewhere if it would be a lot better.
wombatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 
teeneythebetta

I use the filter that came with my tank kit, but I have heard that sponge filters are the best type of filters for bettas. Cant reccomend brands though since ive not personally used them, im sure someone else can come along to reccomend ;)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #3 
Seki

I dunno if I'd necessarily recommend it, but I'm using the Top Fin 10 HOB filter that came with my aquarium kit. It's working fine, but I have been smelling a strange smell around it, and I'm starting to get a little worried the motor might burn out. It's quiet, though, and Zen seems able to deal with the current alright.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I recommend this sponge filter. It's great and my tank is supposed to be cycled... It was a bit strong in my 3.5 but it should be great for a 5 gallon. You could always buy an airflow valve if it's too strong anyways. Lebron never got sucked up and you just rinse it a few times a month, (TANK WATER!!) and vacuum around the base. He also pops the bubbles. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote