Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #1 
Gale

Good tankmates? (10 gallon)

Hey everyone,

Just got a beautiful twin tail halfmoon male Betta today for my Marineland 10g LED aquarium, and while I plan on waiting for a couple of weeks or so, I would like to introduce a few more fish to the habitat.

I would like atleast one bottom feeder, and an algae eater to help maintain cleanliness. I have been considering a couple of small cories, and possibly a snail. Another possibility would be a couple of ADFs, but I'm worried about either the betta nipping on their feet, or the frogs latching onto the betta's fins for a ride.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If the Betta is hyper aggressive no tank mates no cories like 20 gallons 2 or three Otos might work algae eaters to avoid the Chinese algae eaters common plecos one is aggressive one grows 2 ft some some Pleco species might the smallest species grow 4 inches apple snail would be good ADF are not a good idea they can be picky eaters and the Betta might steal the food some Bettas can live with Neon tetras or Harlequin rasboras but it is not worth the risk avoid any Barb or fin nippers white cloud mountain minnow might work but they prefer cold water and can tolerate tropical water some dwarf and pygmy cories might work it would be a good idea to have a lot of silk or live plants with caves for hiding apple snails live shorter in tropical but are more active in tropical white cloud minnows are healthier in cold water.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #3 
Sapphoira

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
If the Betta is hyper aggressive no tank mates no cories like 20 gallons 2 or three Otos might work algae eaters to avoid the Chinese algae eaters common plecos one is aggressive one grows 2 ft some some Pleco species might the smallest species grow 4 inches apple snail would be good ADF are not a good idea they can be picky eaters and the Betta might steal the food some Bettas can live with Neon tetras or Harlequin rasboras but it is not worth the risk avoid any Barb or fin nippers white cloud mountain minnow might work but they prefer cold water and can tolerate tropical water some dwarf and pygmy cories might work it would be a good idea to have a lot of silk or live plants with caves for hiding apple snails live shorter in tropical but are more active in tropical white cloud minnows are healthier in cold water.
Holy run on sentence!! :)
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #4 
kfryman

ADFs are a lot of work, you must hand feed them everyday if you have a betta with them. I would only get a snail for algae, otherwise you are not gonna be getting any other fish really. Nerite snails work really good, or you could get pond or apple snails.

Platies are good fish but they are livebearers so don't get males and females... There is a compatiblility chart as well so you can se what fish you like most.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

A lot of people seem to have Pygmy cories without problems.... And they are pretty cute.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #6 
homegrown terror

i used to have bettas (only one at a time) in my 10 gallon molly/platy tank but they kept dying, i think it was the stress of so many fish making them susceptible to infections. you might wanna steer clear of fast-moving fish who could over-stimulate your betta.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #7 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphoira View Post
Holy run on sentence!! :)
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #8 
Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
A lot of people seem to have Pygmy cories without problems.... And they are pretty cute.
Thats what I'm thinking at this point. Maybe a small school of 4, considering they max out at .75". They'll help keep everything clean, and provide alot of lively entertainment from what I hear.

That will be plenty for my tank, I think. From the looks of it, I might have to hunt them down a bit, as no major chains or online vendors appear to advertise them.

I defintely want ADFs, but I'm going to save them for their own habitat.

Thanks for the advice and opinions everyone :)
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

You could have 6 pygmys.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #10 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
Thats what I'm thinking at this point. Maybe a small school of 4, considering they max out at .75". They'll help keep everything clean, and provide alot of lively entertainment from what I hear.

That will be plenty for my tank, I think. From the looks of it, I might have to hunt them down a bit, as no major chains or online vendors appear to advertise them.

I defintely want ADFs, but I'm going to save them for their own habitat.

Thanks for the advice and opinions everyone :)
it's weird, but i've never had the problems other people report on here with ADFs having feeding problems and tankmate conflicts...all of mine have been very happy, healthy and well-fed little frogs, whether in a tank with another betta or in the community tank.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote