Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Fish pals

So I got my boy Aquarius a few days back and am thinking of getting him a fish buddy or a bottom feeder to help clean his tank. He's in a 5.5 gal tank so it's not big enough for the bottom feeder I wanted. Now my question is what would be the best fish or bottom feeder to keep in the tank with my boy for company and to clean his home and how many can I have? I don't want to pack the tank since it's small but I do want to make sure he isn't lonely and that whatever I add does not produce a lot of waste product itself. Any list of fish and bottom feeders for his home would be nice. I do have hiding places for his friends as well in case he wants to pick on them.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 AM   #2 
magnum

I don't think you need any feeders etc. You could get some Red Cherry Shrimp or Ghost shrimp (not as expensive as RCS) but your betta may eat them. Betta's are solitary fish anyway, so they don't get lonely. If you want to keep him entertained you could always try re-decorating his tank with every water change, such as moving the places of the decor. You can also put a mirror in with him for like, five minutes max a day to give him workout.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #3 
katydidmischief

I have an African Dwarf Frog in mine; he scavenges some things off the bottom of the tank as well as eats frog pellets.
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Well I mainly want some sort of bottom feeder to clean up any food or waste product of algae that is in the tank to help keep it clean. Also something that won't breed like locusts if I have to get more than one (like shrimp, been there done that...o.o) but in the event I only get one can still do it's job alone.

I have heard of a lot of people having african dwarf frogs with betta because they look so vastly different from a rival and they pretty much just let them chill at the bottom. Do you ever have issues with your betta eating all his food before the frog realizes you fed him? I hear that was an issue with one person once and the frog ended up getting very thin. Otherwise I may have to look into them because I do think they are pretty cute.

Also, snails. I have an apple snail once named Jack O Lantern who was pretty cool with my red fined sharks I have a few years back and I know those guys can be fish killers and aggressive but with the snail it was hard for them to eat him because his shell kept him safe. Would a snail work with a betta too or would he be at risk of being eaten somehow?

Oh and clown pleco's, how easy are they to find? I ask because in my comunitity tank from my dads long ago we had a common pleco but he got HUGE and everyone says that clown pleco don't get that large but I LOVE those fish. We actually ended up having the pleco live the longest and just kept him as the heart and soul of the fish tank because he was so friendly and loving. Are clown pleco's hard to find though? Common pleco's are WAY too big to keep in a 5.5 gal tank, he or she would outgrow it in a year and be depressed. Also are they a safe bet to keep with a betta? They are very docile and easy going fish.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 09-03-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #5 
saidbyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Well I mainly want some sort of bottom feeder to clean up any food or waste product of algae that is in the tank to help keep it clean. Also something that won't breed like locusts if I have to get more than one (like shrimp, been there done that...o.o) but in the event I only get one can still do it's job alone.

I have heard of a lot of people having african dwarf frogs with betta because they look so vastly different from a rival and they pretty much just let them chill at the bottom. Do you ever have issues with your betta eating all his food before the frog realizes you fed him? I hear that was an issue with one person once and the frog ended up getting very thin. Otherwise I may have to look into them because I do think they are pretty cute.

Also, snails. I have an apple snail once named Jack O Lantern who was pretty cool with my red fined sharks I have a few years back and I know those guys can be fish killers and aggressive but with the snail it was hard for them to eat him because his shell kept him safe. Would a snail work with a betta too or would he be at risk of being eaten somehow?
I hand feed my AFD. I use the frozen bloodworm cubes, shave some off a cube each day and then hand feed to the AFD. It was hard learning to do it at first in terms of making sure the worms got to the frog and not the betta but they have gotten in a routine now. I feed the betta her pellets and when she is full I lure her to the opposite side of the tank of the AFD and give her a couple of worms and then use the tweezers/prongs to get them down to the AFD. Froggie takes them directly from me and its pretty cool to watch. I tried the pellets at first on advice of the pet store and they simply sat there.
saidbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 
LadyVictorian

Hmmm, I figured they had feeding issues. I will have to look more into that as well as shrimp and snails which seem to be more likely for me to get since it's less a friend and more so someone to help keep the tank clean. What about cories? I have been reading up on them and someone said they need to be in schools but for a 5.5 gal can I just get two and if so will they create more waste than I want? The point is to get the most efficient cleaner who cleans up the most but produces the least amount of waste itself. Something with low risk of being eaten as well.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #7 
homegrown terror

also remember: nobody will ever really be "pals" with your betta. either he'll see them as adversaries, or just as nuisances. that said, i've had best experience with ADF's, my bettas have always just left them alone, or just chased them off a choice leaf if necessary.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #8 
LadyVictorian

I never expected them to be pals, when I had red tailed sharks they didn't have pals within the tank either (in fact the largest male Jaws ate all my other fish because he grew too fast and considered them food.) I just want something that can help eat any muck in the rocks that I miss like fallen fish food since Aquarius has a habit of letting some food sink to the bottom of the tank.

People seem to be having a lot of luck with these frogs it seems, how large do they get? I want to make sure if I end up going with a frog he won't outgrow this tank and if so I can be ready for a larger tank for him. Also do they need extra things like ledges to sit on outside of normal silk plants and rock caves? Can they jump from the tank? I have a lid for mine so that won't be an issue but I don't want to open the lid to drain water and have a frog fly out of the tank and die somewhere (my friends fire eel did that and it broke her heart.)
Old 09-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #9 
saidbyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I never expected them to be pals, when I had red tailed sharks they didn't have pals within the tank either (in fact the largest male Jaws ate all my other fish because he grew too fast and considered them food.) I just want something that can help eat any muck in the rocks that I miss like fallen fish food since Aquarius has a habit of letting some food sink to the bottom of the tank.

People seem to be having a lot of luck with these frogs it seems, how large do they get? I want to make sure if I end up going with a frog he won't outgrow this tank and if so I can be ready for a larger tank for him. Also do they need extra things like ledges to sit on outside of normal silk plants and rock caves? Can they jump from the tank? I have a lid for mine so that won't be an issue but I don't want to open the lid to drain water and have a frog fly out of the tank and die somewhere (my friends fire eel did that and it broke her heart.)

They stay pretty darn small. 2-3 inches if I am remembering right. They do need a little hiding spot, I have a few cave/logs with holes for them. They do come up for air so if the tank is really tall it won't work because they are not powerful swimmers. That said, I have a lid on mine and even when its up for feeding/cleaning/whatever, he doesn't try to jump from it
saidbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Difference between ADF (small) and African clawed frog (big): ADFs have webbing on their front feet, while ACFs do not. I've heard of the two getting mixed up in store.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote