Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

omgomgomg Bubblenest!!!!!

I cant believe how excited I can get over the humble bubble nest.
6 weeks ago I added a filter to my tank. Add that to 6 weeks of absence, that's 3 months of bubble nest deprivation.
This morning, I was out of time to break up the IAL and dumped a giant leaf (like half the size of my 2.5) into the tank.

When I got home, I sat by Kuro's tank and pondered how hideous the oversized leaf looks in my tank. So I raised the lamp an took off the lid. All prepared to eliminate the offending aesthetic element. just as I was about to take the leaf out, Something caught my eye as it glimmered at the edge of the IAL... bubbles!

So I probably looked like a retard right then, but I got on all fours to scan furiously under the leaf. And there is was, the ever so magnificent bubble nest, glorious and golden, snuggled in the embrace of the fabulously golden Indian almond leaf.

Ahhhhh I could cry of happiness T____T

ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #2 
registereduser

awwww, the little guy is so happy!

.....oh, wait..................

registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #3 
Pearl2011

Hahaha, that how I was when my betta built a bubble nest. I was looking at it thinking what the heck was it, and I remember my freind saying something about it when she was breeding. I was so happy! And I noticed it on X-Mas :D
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #4 
MSG

I can sense the enthusiasm from your post. Also saw your feeding video. It's to see the changes from when you first got K till now.

• Just wondering why do you cup him?
  • Also how often do you change out the IA leaf? My oak leaves get gross & slimy after day 2.
I thought the snails would like the gross stuff on the leaves, oh boy was I wrong. Killed my giant ping pong snail from adding those leaves to their tanks.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I can sense the enthusiasm from your post. Also saw your feeding video. It's to see the changes from when you first got K till now.

• Just wondering why do you cup him?
  • Also how often do you change out the IA leaf? My oak leaves get gross & slimy after day 2.
I thought the snails would like the gross stuff on the leaves, oh boy was I wrong. Killed my giant ping pong snail from adding those leaves to their tanks.
Oh woah, I never knew you could do lists in forum codes. learn something new everyday.

I got so excited I thought it was ridiculous, especially since I myself usually glance at the threads that go"bubblenest!" and think : geez, just a bubble nest. Who hasnt seen a bubble nest before. Evidently I have forgotten about how exciting it is to see my little man guarding his little home.

So.... I cup him just for fun now. the original idea was to have him swim into a cup by himself when it's WC time, so that I wouldnt have to chase him around the tank. making it a relaxing experience for us both. Obviously, with a Npt now, it is not neccessary at all since I never change more than 1/4 of the water at once. But it really helped me out back when I was doing daily WCs for his half gallon.

Now it is just good to be able to give him some food, a close check up, count his scales, check his slime coat ;) just kidding

As for the leaf, I usually leave them in there for the shrimps and the snails. but usually a smaller one. they get reduced down to skeletons. and eventually becoming obsolete. You will need to have enough plants to acount for the by products of decay.

my snails do love the leaf, infact there is about 3 that's found their way up there right now

In terms of water chemistry, I like to keep it stable by keeping it slightly hard (so to provide extra calcium for snails and shrimps). there are a couple of seashells in the tank. this will slowly release calcium and whatever.

It's funny you called him K, I had this image of Kuro in my head with a black suit and sunglasses.

Last edited by ao; 09-01-2012 at 01:31 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote