Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #1 
MSG

Can you use a 10K light for growing aquarium plants?

Just wondering if you had this light, would you use for trying to growing plants in a nano style tank?

I only tinkered with it for about 5 minutes and it's really vintage looking & VERY well built & sturdy.

I can get this fixture for the price of a brand new fluorescent bulb. But I have no idea how old this lamp is.

It's got a similar style bulb to the Coralife fixtures I've had, but the CL bulbs have all burned out I think just due to poor design & overheating.
  • OFL mentioned replacing the 6500k bulbs every 10-12 months, but would that same rule apply to 10k bulbs?

Here's a couple links to the lamp I inquiring about.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Northern-L...-Lamp/13417821

http://bestsadlights.com/sadelite-li...amp-10000-lux/
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am pretty sure aquarium light can grow plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #3 
Silverfang

6500k is much better than a 10k light. I had a 10k originally with my fixture, replaced it with a 6500k and the plants grew like an inch in a week. I have 22" stemmed plants.

Pretty sure that all bulbs should be replaced periodically, depending on who you ask, 6 or 12 months.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #4 
kfryman

That isn't a 10000k bulb, that is 10000 lux, which I believe is the brightness... Totally different, and those seem like they are for illness or some kind of stimulation for the body.

You can get expensive LEDs for the price of those lamps or you could get the Finnex Fugeray for low-moderate light or the Fugeray2 for moderate-high light. Note that high light will usually grow algae without CO2. Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ex%2Caps%2C635

Oh and all light bulbs, excluding LEDs must be replaced, it is just how it is.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #5 
MSG

Oh gees, it is 10,000 LUX. Thanks for pointing that out. Regardless if that light is still there, I'm going to grab it today. I should be able to get it for less than $20

I have their giant light box by the same company but I use it for a spotlight since those bulbs run so much cooler & use a lot less energy than the halogen ones.

Hopefully it's still there. That light might come in handy for taking macro style pictures. I've never taken photos with lux rated bulbs before and it might be worth having just for this purpose.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote