Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #1 
mstenorsaxplayer

A few questions from a newbie

I have a blue veil tale. his name is Lil Sano and I have no idea how old he is. He is actually a rescue/therapy pet. My suitemate from school last year was moving out and didn't want him, so she was going to put him in one of the rivers near by, or flush him(still alive). I told her that I would take him. He was grey and very lethargic and, in my opinion, on the verge of death because he had ick, velvet(still battling this), some kind of fungus, and still has a bit of fin rot. He has grown a little since I got him about 5 months ago, but I don't know if that just means he wasn't full grown when I got him or if he grew because I put him in a bigger home with a heater and pretty pebbles. His color has not come back all the way so am I just guessing at what color he is supposed to be.
What should I do to get rid of the fin rot, and the velvet? Why does he flare at me? Why is his head brown? Are freezed dried blood worms okay for a sick betta? Is there a way that I can tell how old he is? How do I get his fins unclamped? Thanks, I know there are a ton of questions, but both Lil Sano and myself will appreciate all the help we can get. I love him soooo much!
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #2 
mstenorsaxplayer

Also, is fins seem so droopy? What can I do to fix this?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Could you please post a picture? This might help:)
Also can you fill out this form below? Thanks so much, and thank you for rescuing him!!

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #4 
PaintedOaksOki

A veiltail's fins are long, flowly, and often droop downwards, it is perfectly normal in that regard.
For the fin rot AQ salt will help, I've yet to deal with velvet/ick so I'm not sure, I know API General cure will help with both... I believe.
FD Bloodworms are ONLY a treat they can cause bloat if fed in large amounts/too often. Try find a pellet feed for him, New Life Spectrum is HIGHLY reccomended here on the forum, and Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets are on that list too! If you can't find NLS get the Omega One.
My first betta was a blue VT and his head was brown too! My red half moon has a brown head too, if your's are like mine then it's just coloring, nothing to really worry about.
His fins will unclamp over time as he gets used to his new surroundings, and gets healthier.

What size of tank/bowl is he in?
PaintedOaksOki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Oh yes, I agree with PaintedOaks
bloodworms are treats and should not be fed more than twice a week. As they mentioned a high protein high quality food like New life spectrum or omega one would help.

How long is he approximately in inches?

Bettas usually clamp up from being too cold. Give him some time, the warm water should take care of that in itself, it will just take some time.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #6 
mstenorsaxplayer

I am unable to post pictures at the moment :( Also I have given him about 5 salt baths. I did use the salt in his tank but then I was told that over using the salt could cause kidney and liver failure, and that the bacteria causing the fin rot could become immune. I o realize that the dried blood worms are only a treat. How many is it okay to feed him and how often? Are there any nutriant value in them?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #7 
mstenorsaxplayer

Oh, and I would say not counting his fins, he is about 1.5in long. Unfortunatly, all I have for him right now is a gallon sized bowl.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #8 
mstenorsaxplayer

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon bowl
What temperature is your tank? 78f
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetramin tropical flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 times dailey

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% water change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Jungle Ick Guard, Tetra Easy Balance, and Jungle Start Right

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? not tested

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has regained much of his color, but still isn't as vibrant as he should be.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is very active unlike when I first got him.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? when I first got him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I had to treat him for ick, some gross fungus, velvet (still has), and fin rot (still has). I gave him about 5 salt baths.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Oh Yea.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know. I got him back in May this year. He did grow some after I got him, but I don't know if it is because I put him in a bigger bowl or if he wasn't full grown.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #9 
Dichotomy83

Im still new to bettas, but I think that a 100% water change every day is excessive and wont properly allow your tank to nitrogen cycle. That could be causing him stress.
Dichotomy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

A cycle won't happen if there's no filter. And 100% everyday is OK for sickness but a tad bit stressful. A 1 gallon doesn't need to be cycled and is going to be very hard. Do a 100% right now as there are too many chemicals in his water. Now, before you put him back in, dissolve a TEASPOON of Aquarium Salt and add it to the dechlorinated tank. Gently acclimate him and do 100% daily changes for 10 days MAXIMUM. I'm sorry he's very sick.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote