Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #11 
mstenorsaxplayer

Okay, and after the ten days how often would you suggest I clean his bowl?
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #12 
mstenorsaxplayer

Oh, and I quit putting the salt into his bowl because if it is used too much, it doesn't work as well and can cause kidney and liver failure.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #13 
teeneythebetta

Once you're not doing the salt treatment, 3 weekly water changes will work- 2 50% changes and 1 100% change each week.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #14 
mstenorsaxplayer

I quit using the aquarium salt in his bowl because I was told that it can cause liver and kidney damage/failure if used too much. I gave him 5 salt baths lasting about 7 minutes each. I worked up to the recomended .5 tsp for a half gallon tank. I took him out of his larger tank during the treatments. The 3rd to last treatment was ended early because I was afraid he was going to pass out.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #15 
DoctorWhoLuver

I think using aquarium salt as a treatment is good, but using it in excessive amounts will (such as having it regularly in the regular tank, not the treatment tank...I'm assuming you're using a different tank for his salt baths?) cause kidney/liver failure.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

I am wondering why you think he has velvet? I would think if he would has velvet for that long he probably would not be alive.
google the velvet , fish will look like sprinkle with salt or
Velvet is hard to spot, but can be best spotted with a flashlight. Shine the light on the betta’s body: if it looks like it is covered with a fine gold or rust mist, then it has velvet. A betta with velvet will act sick, so look for clamped fins, scratching against rocks/gravel/tank, loss of appetite, loss of color etc...

If you really he has velvet you need aquarium salt and have medications on hands.
You are right aquarium salt can cause kidney damage and other problem but only if you use it long time and not therapeutic dosages. If you need to treat fish it one of the natural remedy method that you can use to help your betta. And you can use it only for certain period of time.
So check those symptoms and if he really has it then we will instruct you with directions.
If he has velvet i would recommend 2tso/gall of the aq salt. And you will need to do continue to do daily 100% water changes with salt. And it always better to pre mix salt for the right dosage. Of course with betta acclimation.
If you decide he has velvet (external parasites) i would also buy medications for external parasites.
With aq salt you can treat maximum for 13 days, and for external parasites you need to treat him pass 3 days since you stop seeing them ...
What do you have in his tank? If you have any decorations , gravel i would take it out.

Give us update i will instruct you on what to do with decorations if he has parasites.
Also i will give you instructions on the nets or anything you are using between changes....you need to dry out so parasites die.....

Last edited by ANHEL123; 09-03-2012 at 12:07 AM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

fish die prety quickly from velvet XD so if you think he's had it for like 2 weeks plus... It might not be it :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #18 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dichotomy83 View Post
Im still new to bettas, but I think that a 100% water change every day is excessive and wont properly allow your tank to nitrogen cycle. That could be causing him stress.

How is a 1 gallon bowl going to cycle with no filter or live plants and such?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

^+1
it's way too hard to cycle a 1gallon bowl. Not to mention that you'd need a filter.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #20 
mstenorsaxplayer

Okay, maybe it's not velvet. I did the flashlight test when I first got him and it looked like velvet. Maybe I am wrong though. I will test again and let you know. Thank ya'll for your help. :)