Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #1 
LittleWatty

Bloated Pig

So, I bought some shrimp yesterday. 2 Amanos and several ghosties. The amanos and about half of the ghosties went in with Sonas. Well... this morning I woke up to a VERY fat betta. He must have been chowing down on shrimp all night. And I'm pretty sure he ate both the amanos.

Right now he's in a 3 gallon quarantine tank with 1tsp of epsom salt. I've been giving him a mirror occasionally, as I've heard that can help them pass their food quicker. His poop is NOT white and stringy, so I know its not a sudden case of internal parasites. He's not pineconing, so I also know its not dropsy.

Reason why I'm posting is I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions on how to get his fat tummy down, and if he'd ever be ok to put back in a tank with shrimp. I'm starting to think no, because he's gotten a lot more aggressive over the past month or so, and after he ate his first shrimp, I think he's gotten a taste for them now.

Apologies for the blurry pics, the tank walls were a little spotty, and I didn't bother wiping them down.
Attached Images

LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Lol, bettas and shrimps, it's always a hit or miss.
Leave the mirror around and have him flare to his heart's desire.
My fish gets overfed all the time. but the with exercise he get, things get digested pretty quickly
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #3 
Silverfang

epsom salt (1 tsp/gal) and small bouts of flaring (no more than 5 minutes). Should encourage him to go.

I know the type, alone for his entire life. DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #4 
LittleWatty

Well, after an 8 hour work day, I came home to this (don't look at the pictures if you don't like fish poop!). I'm hoping its a good sign, but the pasty color of the fecal matter worries me a bit. Still, he is going. Could the color just be from the fact that the shrimp are white/transparent?
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Why do betta pig the heck out when oven the chance? Lol if I dropped his whole jar of food in his tank my betta would eat until he exploded like a pellet piņata.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

I don't know... When Lebron ate ghost shrimp, his poo was normal colored. After this bathroom break, check the next break and see if his poo is stringy again.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #7 
LittleWatty

Well, he didn't just eat one ghost shrimp. I'm pretty sure he ate at least 2 decent sized (1+") amano shrimp, and maybe a few ghosties. So... I dunno. He'll be in the ES salt for the weekend, since I'm visiting my parents and can't really take him with me. I mean... I could, but I don't think he'd be too happy with me!
Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Yeah, but Lebron ate 4 of them... Epsom Salt will help either for bloat or internal parasites so it's great. But it won't cure it all the way, it'll just help draw the fluids out of him.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #9 
LittleWatty

Yep. I'm hoping its just something with the shrimp, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions in case it is internal parasites? (when he first started passing his food, it was brown like normal, but it seems like most of it has been white)
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Epsom Salt will help for sure, and I think BasementBettas adds the main ingredient of internal parasite foods to her fish just in case. Metronidazole, I think?