Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2008, 04:01 PM   #1 
Little Wolf

Beta water

Just inherited a betta. Site has been very helpful. I do have one question about the appropriate water to use in tank. I was told to use distilled water, but have read that this is not healthy. Do I use tap water with conditioner?
Help!
Little Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #2 
SST

I use tap water with conditioner. I let mine sit out for 24 hours to go "stale" and let the chlorine dissapate. Even if you do that, you still have to use water conditioner as many municipalities use chloramine instead of chlorine and that does not dissapate through evaporation.

Though, I don't know if heavy metals are an issue for bettas, as they are for snails. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in. We don't have alot of heavy metals in our water, but I know some areas do. I don't know your situation.

I'm on city water, not a well.

I think we'd need to know more about your water supply to give a more difinative answer.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #3 
Little Wolf

Thanks Susan!
So distilled water is out? I do believe that his previous owner was using distilled water. What about bottled purified water?
I am on Florida well water. Have no idea what is in it.

Also, this betta is in a decorative glass vase. Is this enough room for habitat?
I call this betta...Psycho... as he is a very animated, social, silly, little character... always flaring and loves to follow fingers. Too CUTE!!!!!!!!

all help is appreciated!

Linda
Little Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #4 
bobbysgrl

A good tank for a Betta is 5 gallons minimum from what I have read and flaring constantly can put a lot of stress on him.
bobbysgrl is offline   Reply With Quote