Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
They are really good for lowtech tank setups and low light. If you ever have to take out plants you will see how crazy their roots are. I had a sword that was maybe 14 inches, just leaves, and the roots were at least the same length if not more. The mess was horrible though. So much dirt came up lol.

Water wisteria is one of my favorites though, it is really nice and bushy. Perfect for babies and shrimp. Also ludwigia and rotala do really good in a dirt substrate. They do need to have more light though. Crypts are good because of their massive root systems. I would just look up plants and see what you like the best.
I've been reading like crazy about plants...I have to make a list of what I want..I will need quite a few even for my 10g divided. I got the soil and small grain pebbles I'm using, and my light~ Now, I just need to get the table set up in that corner of the living room, get the tank cleaned, make and set the divider...figure out my lighting...sigh...I'm cooking fried chicken atm..so, all of this is later lol. I'm glad that you and OFL have so much experience in this realm...if I have enough plants and proper light I may be able to do a fish in cycle...I'm hoping to go that way. I'll have to see how my prams run at first. OFL says with enough fast growing, ammonia eating plants I should be able to do this. I'm excited/nervous..but, I figure since getting my first betta back in June I have done everything without knowing much to start lol.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #12 
kfryman

At first usually the plants will adjust and melt so they won't be doing a whole lot of filtering ammonia, but after a couple days to a week they will kick in and your parameters will be good. I still suggest a filter for mechanical filtration. Don't use carbon, besides the first weeks (It will help suck up nutrients) but you don't want it after that cause your plants won't have as much nutrients to thrive. Just use sponges, dense ones and a bit more open. Have the least dense hitting the water first, then move all the way up to dense.

Yeah I'm glad OFL helped me, so why not help others?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

So, I have a whisper internal filter...should I use it without the cartridge? Is it just to keep some water movement? Sorry so many questions, I'm still reading lol. And yeah, OFL has been so much help to me and others...she not only knows her fish, she has a great way of being able to correct and instruct and still be encouraging..that is quite a gift and rare in my experience. I so appreciate you taking the time to read and help me too! Just finished dinner, now maybe I can get this divider made and tank set up! So much to do....
Old 09-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #14 
Bettanewbie60

Got the divider made and fitted...I'm not going to use any adhesive to place it, as I want to be able to change up the tank if I ever decide remove it. It fits really snug and with the substrate and water should be perfect...Now, on to washing the tank and getting it set up in it's place. The table I am putting it on actually has wheels which will be good if I ever have to move it.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #15 
kfryman

Water movement, and mechanical filtration, not much needed for bio and chemical as that will be the plants job. You can just buy filter floss or sponges and put them in the fikter instead. Use the carbon for the first few weeks.

A mobile tank is nice to have, especially if you find the area to be too bright or something. Can't wait to see this tank up!

Do you have any plans as far as plants and hardscape?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #16 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Water movement, and mechanical filtration, not much needed for bio and chemical as that will be the plants job. You can just buy filter floss or sponges and put them in the fikter instead. Use the carbon for the first few weeks.

A mobile tank is nice to have, especially if you find the area to be too bright or something. Can't wait to see this tank up!

Do you have any plans as far as plants and hardscape?
I have my list of plants, with OFL's help. I am going to sit and do a design on paper this afternoon. I'm not sure about what hardscape I will be doing...oh, is there anything I need to know about the items I put in an NPT...I don't want any of the items I put in there to be creating anaerobic spots. thanks!