Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #11 
Seki

Wow, lucky you getting such huge tanks! Since you've decided against putting a betta in (I think he might get lost, too :( ), have you looked at doing other fish? Cichlids would be SO COOL! But then, I just really want cichlids of my own haha, so i might be a bit biased.

Anyway, whatever you decide to do, good luck!! And, for the record, I think a 55 gallon might be a bit too big for a single male betta, too. Maybe a sorority would work in there? I have no experience with those, but some of the other members would definitely be able to tell you!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden

Frankly I would leave betta out of all of those tanks. You have the potential to make amazing communities with those tanks. Having a betta in there limits you significantly as you have to have compatible species.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #13 
Adine

How would you ever see the betta... But that would be pretty cool.
A sorority would be fun, I've never had one, but I think I've read plenty enough on here about them.. Just look around too see what ya want.
Adine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #14 
Adine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Frankly I would leave betta out of all of those tanks. You have the potential to make amazing communities with those tanks. Having a betta in there limits you significantly as you have to have compatible species.
Oops, I didn't see this until after I posted.
I agree with this, but don't some people have a tropical community with a single male betta? But I bet you could do soooo much more than guppies in that big of a tank..
Adine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #15 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adine View Post
Oops, I didn't see this until after I posted.
I agree with this, but don't some people have a tropical community with a single male betta? But I bet you could do soooo much more than guppies in that big of a tank..
Some people do have tropical communities with a single male betta. But they are limited by betta compatibility. Such as things the betta won't attack or things that won't eat the betta. They are a pretty small fish with some big attitude, and that is hard to work into a lot of tropical communities.

Those tanks are large enough to build large fish communities. Clown loaches, discus, large cichlids, bichir, knife fish, arrowana, freshwater stingrays (not all together at the same time). All of these fish that aren't suited for "normal sized" communities, but would do great in a tank like this. Why limit yourself with small fish like betta. These tanks have too much potential for that.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 09-01-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #16 
Mo

With a tank that large I'd like to have huge schools of teeny tiny fish... Boraras Maculatus or Boraras Brigittae would be perfect. I think such large schools and rapid movement would stress out the betta
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #17 
cjz96

My late grandfather was fish god. Lol. When he passed, he left his stash of freshwater and salt water tanks to me. He could make basically anything thrive. I'm not so sure with my abilities. I have only ever kept male bettas, occasional goldfish, and guppies by myself. Anything else, i would just give Mr.fish god a visit. Lol. I know there were cichlids in the 55gallon. He was breeding them about 5 years ago. I could try to start it up again.
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #18 
kfryman

Don't do cichlids in an NPT, they will just wreck havock on the plants. Cichlids would be awesome in a rock scale though!

If I were you I would get a huge school of rummynose tetras and some other fish as well. You could try discus as well they, are amazing looking fish.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden

Your grandfather sounds like a great man. I had a grandfather who kept fish, but he died before I was old enough to gain any knowledge from him.

I'm with Mo. If I had a 230 gal I would probably have massive schools of tetra. Cardinal tetra look simply stunning when kept in groups of 100+. They take on a whole different look than even schools of 20 in a 55 gallon. Really, your possibilities are almost endless (I say this because yes there are fish in the hobby which that tank is still too small).
Old 09-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #20 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If I had a huge tank, African lungfish all the way.
But that's just me.
You're pretty much limitless, I say look past the betta and find something you really love.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote