Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #1 
DragonFish

Redid a Couple of Tanks....

So, after setting up my 10 gallon a while ago with sand(my first experience with sand in a tank)I kind of sort of...well, fell in love with the sand. xD Not only did I just adore the look, but I personally found it much easier to clean and all that.
Anywho, I fell in love with the stuff SO much that I decided to redo my two divided 5 gallons. They were in need of a good algae scrub and unusually large water change anyway....xD

So, after lots of rinsing and scrubbing, countless trips between my room and my bathroom, and quite a sandy mess that I still need to clean up....I took some shots and thought I'd share xDD

Nine and Dice got gray sand(it goes with their names....long story)
Before:

After:

And a couple pics of the boys....
Nine:

Dice:

Ciel and Sebastian got mixed black and blue sand....goes with their names as well, and I thought it would look kind of neat. xD
Before:

After:

And then....
Ciel:

Sebastian:

So....yeah. xD Just thought I'd share some pictures of the revamped tanks and the boys enjoying their new homes.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Too cool! I love the new look...I am planning my first NPT in a divided 10g...I can't wait to start it! Your boys look great too!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wow that is an awesome.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Thank you! ^-^ It was definitely worth the mess and the work, I adore how it turned out.
Haha, I don't think I could do an NPT.....I do NOT have a green thumb. Like at all. As far as non-aquatic plants go....well, I kill bamboo. My attempts with aquatic plants in the past, even the supposed easy beginner ones, have met with much the same outcome. I managed to keep a bit of java fern alive for a while though but it ended up getting tossed when I moved-cross country. I recently picked up a couple chunks of it though and decided to give it a shot once more...but I don't expect much. xD
Old 09-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

They look great! I've been thinking about switching my 5 gal to sand... how did you wash it before you put it in the tank? And how do you keep it clean without making the tank cloudy? Thanks!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #6 
DragonFish

Thank you! :)
Well I'm not sure if this is necessarrily the most proper way to do it.....but I pretty much washed the sand just the same as I do gravel. I poured it into a container(a little bit, I rinsed it in smaller parts), put some water it, swished it all around and stirred it with my hand, then poured out the excess water. I did that a few times and then added it to the tank.
Depending on what sand you use, you many need to rinse it a little extra.....I just used sand from Petco.

I actually don't have any problem with it getting cloudy during water changes....so I'm not sure what to tell you about that. xD I just do normal siphoning, sucking up all the waste and whatnot, stir the sand around with my finger a bit, and then refill. So far, no clouding issues.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #7 
bettasusa

Great tanks and such beautiful fish! Love it!
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #8 
DragonFish

Thank you!! :)