Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 
bettabubbles25

Questions on a 2.5 gallon tank

If I am just keeping one betta fish in a 2.5 gallon tank how often should I do 100% water changes or percentage water changes? There is a heater but no filter, current would be too strong(i think). I dont want to stress out the fish by doing too many 100% water changes.

Any suggestion?
bettabubbles25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #2 
LadyVictorian

Hey, from owning betta in the past we never did a full 100% water change unless there was something wrong with the water. Otherwise it's a 50% water change, use a tiny hose to suck up the rocks, and a algae scrub brush for the glass that way the fish wasn't stressed. Then you treat your water and I let is sit for a day before adding it into the tank so it could at least be room temp though I tried to heat it to the same as the fish tank so the fish wouldn't go into shock. Being as I always had 5gal with filters or larger I only ever change water once a week but I would say in a 2 gal and if you have no filter do a 50% water change every 2 to 3 days.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #3 
Bettanewbie60

If is it filtered do two 50% changes a week, one with a vac to get the debris out...I have a 2.5 with no filter..I do one 50% and one like 99% every week.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #4 
bettabubbles25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Hey, from owning betta in the past we never did a full 100% water change unless there was something wrong with the water. Otherwise it's a 50% water change, use a tiny hose to suck up the rocks, and a algae scrub brush for the glass that way the fish wasn't stressed. Then you treat your water and I let is sit for a day before adding it into the tank so it could at least be room temp though I tried to heat it to the same as the fish tank so the fish wouldn't go into shock. Being as I always had 5gal with filters or larger I only ever change water once a week but I would say in a 2 gal and if you have no filter do a 50% water change every 2 to 3 days.
Thanks for the info! I also have a 5 gallon with a filter and a heater with a betta fish but only do 20% water changes a week till the water cyclesand clears. i will eventually do 50% water changes a week on the 5 gallon.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #5 
bettabubbles25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
If is it filtered do two 50% changes a week, one with a vac to get the debris out...I have a 2.5 with no filter..I do one 50% and one like 99% every week.
thanks!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #6 
copperarabian

Because a 2.5g is so small I just carry it in the bathroom(I stick the heater in a cup of water) and do a 100% water change, do a 50% is so much of a hassle lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote