Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
In a vase or 1-2 gallon bowl? This is hard to believe... I feel like something is Not right here...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugLifeWithMahFish View Post
i dnt have room for a tank bro i actually have three bettas but the other two are perfectly fine.
You should not have fish if you do not have the proper supplies for them they rarely make it to there potential life span get sick more often less active more nervous Betta fish destroy there fins if they do not get exercise or stimulation. I only keep fish I have room for and I refuse dividers so only room for two Betta fish male in 10 gallon healthy active ALIVE female in 20 gallon community tank ALIVE active.

Last edited by ChoclateBetta; 09-01-2012 at 11:42 PM.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugLifeWithMahFish View Post
i dnt have room for a tank bro i actually have three bettas but the other two are perfectly fine.
I sense a troll or someone who knows nothing about fish and refuses to learn.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #14 
ThugLifeWithMahFish
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
trust me i want to learn i just wish i had a bigger place i guess ill pass them along to someone that would take good care of them. thank you guys
ThugLifeWithMahFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #15 
DragonFish
Member
 
DragonFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Batavia, IL
Just too offer a different, mainly +1 extra opinion.....

I can understand how you would think your bettas are fine. Most people who have never seen a truly healthy fish in a proper environment, which I assume you haven't since all your current fish are in small containers, can't be expected to see the difference and just assume their fish is fine. I understand there is much misinformation out there, and you were likely led to believe that your fish will indeed be fine in a tiny vase or bowl.
I can assure you, however, that your fish are not as healthy and happy as they should be whilst you have them in such small and, presumably, unheated containers.

Going back to the original problem....your betta is likely not eating as a direct result of being in a small, unheated flower vase. Bettas are tropical fish, they require heated water at a stable temperature of 78-81 degrees F. They are also quite active and intelligent fish who need proper room to swim, 2.5+ gallons per fish, and a decent amount of cover in the form of fake or live plants and a cave to give them something to do and help them feel secure.

There are plenty of wonderful cheap options for tanks and such if you are on a budget. Kritter Keepers(Medium+)that you can find at Petco or Petsmart make fantastic tanks, or even clear/somewhat clear sterile plastic tubs can make wonderful budget tanks.
Also, something like a 2.5 or even a 5 gallon tank really doesn't take up much more room then a bowl or two.

Along with the bit of information I have given you, I really encourage you to check out the rest of the site and our stickys like this one: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

However, if you really do find that you don't have the time/resources/or motivation to properly provide properly for the living creatures that you have taken on responsibility of, I really hope that you decide to re-home them to someone who can provide for them.

Best of luck.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:59 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugLifeWithMahFish View Post
trust me i want to learn i just wish i had a bigger place i guess ill pass them along to someone that would take good care of them. thank you guys
Then find all your fish except one a better home and give the one you keep a 5 gallon tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #17 
MollyJean
Member
 
MollyJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Well no matter if he has his fish in a vase or a tank, he's here and seeking advice, so it's better that we attempt to help rather then vilifying him.

Thug, what they're saying is true, a little vase is like putting a person in a closet. Yes, a betta can live in a vase but it's never going to be happy. Which might be why your fish isn't eating. As soon as you are able, find a tank for him. Even if it's a sterelite or rubbermaid bucket, which a lot of people on here use. At Big Lots you can get a container that's almost 4 gallons for only 5 dollars. It'll even have a lid. If you have 3 bettas, maybe consider getting a larger tank and splitting it down with plastic sheets or plexi-glass? There are a lot of threads here to help you find a better way to house your betta.

If you are getting a larger tank soon, that's great. Til then, you need to make sure he as safe in a vase. He needs water changes every day, because waste and ammonia build up fast in a small space, and he needs to be kept at around 78 degrees. I'm suggest between 76 and 80, but nothing higher. Too hot and he'll loose his apatite and become very lethargic. Another reason he might not be eating.

There are a lot of other reasons he might not be eating. How long have you had him, and how long has it been since he ate last? Have you noticed any new marks, colors or growths on him? How is he acting. I would suggest filling out the form HERE so we can help you more.

The fact that you came here for help is a good sign. If you still want help, we can give it if we have the right information.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:00 AM   #18 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post
Just too offer a different, mainly +1 extra opinion.....

I can understand how you would think your bettas are fine. Most people who have never seen a truly healthy fish in a proper environment, which I assume you haven't since all your current fish are in small containers, can't be expected to see the difference and just assume their fish is fine. I understand there is much misinformation out there, and you were likely led to believe that your fish will indeed be fine in a tiny vase or bowl.
I can assure you, however, that your fish are not as healthy and happy as they should be whilst you have them in such small and, presumably, unheated containers.

Going back to the original problem....your betta is likely not eating as a direct result of being in a small, unheated flower vase. Bettas are tropical fish, they require heated water at a stable temperature of 78-81 degrees F. They are also quite active and intelligent fish who need proper room to swim, 2.5+ gallons per fish, and a decent amount of cover in the form of fake or live plants and a cave to give them something to do and help them feel secure.

There are plenty of wonderful cheap options for tanks and such if you are on a budget. Kritter Keepers(Medium+)that you can find at Petco or Petsmart make fantastic tanks, or even clear/somewhat clear sterile plastic tubs can make wonderful budget tanks.
Also, something like a 2.5 or even a 5 gallon tank really doesn't take up much more room then a bowl or two.

Along with the bit of information I have given you, I really encourage you to check out the rest of the site and our stickys like this one: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058

However, if you really do find that you don't have the time/resources/or motivation to properly provide properly for the living creatures that you have taken on responsibility of, I really hope that you decide to re-home them to someone who can provide for them.

Best of luck.
Spoken like a true Diplomat.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #19 
MollyJean
Member
 
MollyJean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: East Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Then find all your fish except one a better home and give the one you keep a 5 gallon tank.
You are being a little mean. Most people who come here seeking advice have been given the wrong information and keep their betta fish in vases or small bowls. We're not here to criticize, we're here to inform. We're here to teach. That kind of advice teaches nothing.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
You are being a little mean. Most people who come here seeking advice have been given the wrong information and keep their betta fish in vases or small bowls. We're not here to criticize, we're here to inform. We're here to teach. That kind of advice teaches nothing.
I meant if he does not have the space for 3 Re home 2 so he has a healthy well cared for pet plus I am toning it down I could point to his idiotic belief his fish are fine he also assumed his care had nothing to do with the problem he also refuses to admit his care is bad Emotions are illogical and cause suffering a correct fact is my emotions. I always criticize and look on the negative side it does teach something he refuses to admit he has the wrong info.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Betta not eating pellets wah543 Betta Fish Care 18 08-31-2012 08:26 PM
betta not eating pellets soccerdog693 Betta Fish Care 3 01-10-2011 01:09 AM
my betta isnt eating bobby78 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 4 11-05-2010 11:44 AM
my female betta isnt eating crowntailbettalover Betta Fish Care 2 03-19-2009 05:07 PM
My betta isnt eating. rebelangel76 Betta Fish Care 1 01-14-2008 12:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.