Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #11 
MSG

I would NOT recommend that slim Hydor heater. You should try to order an 25w-50w ADJUSTABLE heater online, you should be able to get one for about $12 maybe less.

It's just nice to be able to raise/lower the temperature a few degrees if sickness occurs.

I was playing with the hydor heater yesterday & it took about 4-6 hours for the temperature to go from 74 to 82. I just came home and now it's 88-90 degrees. There's nothing I can do to lower the temperature other than unplugging the stupid thing. This is one reason I never bothered using it.

If you're going to buy a couple filters, go with the Tom version of the Fluval. It's looks like it's made a little better even though it's the same design. I like the color contrast of the media.

Funny KFry mentioned the Tom because I thought it looked similar to the Fluval.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Internal-Filter-45gph-adjustable/dp/B00176GKM8/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #12 
kc0vbl

Would a heater that large be to much for the little tank I got? I can return the hydro heater and get a better one.
kc0vbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #13 
MSG

I was using a 25W for a 10gallon.

If the heater has a built in thermostat, it will shut off once it reaches the set temperature. Check it to make sure it's accurate.

Sometimes the heaters are slightly miscalibrated, but that's usually only true with the cheaper models that don't go through QC procedures. It also depends on where you place the heater. I tend to place my heater where the water shoots out of the filter so the heat is evenly distributed throughout the tank

I always recommend higher in case you decide to upgrade your tank in the future.

Before bettas I never USED small tanks under 10G to keep fish.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #14 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
My 2.5 has an Azoo Mignon filter. It does interfere with the glass and hood but I prop the glass up on an angle and everything is ok.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote