Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

5.5 divided tank! Check for updates :)

This week I prepared and created a divider for my 5.5 gallon tank...im really excited! I am adding the sand this week and will be updating it throughout the month while its cycling. Hows it look!?

I used the plastic mesh you get at the craft store, report cover binders and aquarium safe sealant.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Remember to put a lot of hiding spots and cover it causes stress to see each other to much they will probably spend a lot of time flaring and I would not recommend dividing anything under 10 gallons and I would recommend dividing 2 times for 10gallon.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #3 
Meggie6347

Looks great, friendly fishies! The divider you put in there looks like it is going to be very stable!

How are you planning on decorating it? I read that you're using sand, I love the look of it!

Setting up a new tank is always so exciting! Last time I got one I couldn't wait until the morning, so I set it up at 9:30 at night...

DO you already have the bettas you are going to move into there, or are you going to get them later?
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #4 
Friendlyfishies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meggie6347 View Post
Looks great, friendly fishies! The divider you put in there looks like it is going to be very stable!

How are you planning on decorating it? I read that you're using sand, I love the look of it!

Setting up a new tank is always so exciting! Last time I got one I couldn't wait until the morning, so I set it up at 9:30 at night...

DO you already have the bettas you are going to move into there, or are you going to get them later?
I dont have the bettas yet, im going to cycle the tank first this time. I am using white sand (i know a lot of ppl vote for dark sand but I want to be able to clean the bottom with a turkey baster and would like to be able to see the debri) :) ...im looking at different plants, I have a low light and will probably line up some java fern along both sides of the divider...the place I ordered from last time send me some tall java ferns. I know what you mean, I can barely resist setting it up!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #5 
bettasusa

Going to be fun to see how this turns out. The divider like mentioned looks very sturdy. I like that you put in a bottom piece to secure the mesh in that area as well. Subscribing and watching out for future updates. Can't wait to see the new addition bettas that will be living here. :) Good luck :)
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

I like it :)

I have a similar design except I used two dividers, just to ensure there is literally no intereaction between the two fish.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #7 
Bettanewbie60

Great job on the divider! I just finished making one for my 10g NPT I am starting..it is so exciting right?
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I like it :)

I have a similar design except I used two dividers, just to ensure there is literally no intereaction between the two fish.
This is a great idea, just for safety's sake.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
This is a great idea, just for safety's sake.
I'm afraid of either of my boys finding each other, plus it provdes a place to put the filter without it being on one side of the tank. This way both sides get equal filtration~
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #10 
Meggie6347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
I dont have the bettas yet, im going to cycle the tank first this time. I am using white sand (i know a lot of ppl vote for dark sand but I want to be able to clean the bottom with a turkey baster and would like to be able to see the debri) :) ...im looking at different plants, I have a low light and will probably line up some java fern along both sides of the divider...the place I ordered from last time send me some tall java ferns. I know what you mean, I can barely resist setting it up!
Sounds great! Personally, I am a fan of the lighter sand as well. I don't mind it when it gets a bit dirty, actually. My tanks are all fully planted with wood, so when it gets dirty it is usually from plant debris, and I actually really like the look of it. I have light and dark sand and I think the light looks more natural. I think it is going to look stunning in your tank!

Great choice on the java fern! One of the nicest plants because they are very hard to kill! (except the one time I went on vacation and the floating plants over grew like crazy and blocked all the light....yea I don't like to talk about that....haha). Your ferns will multiply like crazy, too! I am constantly finding new plants growing off the leaves of mine!

If I lived anywhere near you I would give you plants for free...I actually had to throw away a handful of them last week.

Please keep us updated! I am excited to see how this turns out!

What kind of bettas are you planning on getting?
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote