Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #51 
Gizmothefreaky

Hee Hee, yeah... And if I still have some, or if they have more, you are first in line. :)
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #52 
moonsand0wls

If you want to speed up the hatching process put a heater in and heat up the water :) otherwise they can take a month or so to hatch, or a long time anyways.
I'm still waiting for mine to lay eggs! Spring is coming and I hope they lay :D I called mine Yin & Yang! LOL!

And culture some daphnia you should feed them live food and everyday :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #53 
Gizmothefreaky

I am well aware of that, lol I was wanting them to hatch slowly because I don't have any food cultures. Lol so room temperature hatching it is! At least until I get some food going.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #54 
moonsand0wls

Oh yeah, i'm going to do that with my next ones :)
Yeah, you can usually get cultures online really cheap.
But yeah, feed them newly hatched brineshrimp (Artemia), small Daphnia or Moina, and microworms (microworms are not ideal and won't be well received until the axolotl larvae develop their front legs).

:)
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #55 
Gizmothefreaky

Yes, I know. Lol I have read that website several times. :) I'm trying to see if I can order some daphnia and microworms, not going to do brine shrimp because the salt content is too high, and because they don't have as much nutritional value as daphnia.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #56 
moonsand0wls

Oh, sorry ;L
Ummms, I'm not sure where you live? But you can buy cultures i'm not sure if you can buy them already cultured tho :o
Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #57 
Gizmothefreaky

I'm in the US, I've been looking and I'm pretty sure I can buy them already cultured... I just have to look.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #58 
djembekah

oh man...you are just over the mountains from me...well maybe a littler farther xD but...darn. I am tempted...can't get anymore tanks right now, but you know, if one empties up...xD ahhh i cant wait to watch this thread :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 AM   #59 
Gizmothefreaky

Lol well they aren't even close to hatching yet, so no worries there. Lol and you only need ten gallons for one! :D Hee Hee!
Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #60 
SpookyTooth

I'm not sure of their nutritional value as opposed to brine shrimp but have you considered fairy shrimp? Fairy shrimp are the freshwater equivalent to Artemia and if you want to "grow your own" they're rather easy to raise (almost identical to raising brine shrimp without the salt). I've done it multiple times (though their eggs were mixed into tadpole shrimp eggs that I've hatched in the past) and their larvae is very similar in size and appearance to Artemia. It may be worth considering if you can't find other cultures.

The one problem would be finding the eggs. In the UK I've not had much luck (we'd have to import them as our native fairy shrimp species are endangered) but in the USA you might be able to find somewhere to get them from. There's a company called Arizona Fairy Shrimp that may be worth googling and looking at, they have a lot of info and I believe they also sell eggs (though I've not shopped with them).

Regardless I'm so excited for you! That double embryo egg is going to prove interesting, I hope things continue to go well!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote