Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #1 
bettabubbles25

help with a 5.5 gal. that is foggy

hi,
i have a 5.5 gallon betta tank with a filter, heater, and some live plants. The tank has been set up for about a week and a half now and is just now getting foggy?!

Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated!
bettabubbles25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #2 
MSG

Cloudiness is bacteria bloom.

Depending on how good your filter is, it will take either 2 days maybe a week to clear up.

I was able to clear my tank up in less than a day but I used several filters with established filtration media.

What other critters do you have in your tank?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #3 
bettabubbles25

My filter is the Marina i25 internal filter. i only have a betta in there. i have tried ghost shrimp and a mystery snail but the betta ended up eating the shrimp and killing the snail. no friends for the betta :(
Old 09-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #4 
MSG

With that filter I'm going to guess it will take 3.5 to 5 weeks for the filter to fully cycle.

Within 1 day of running my 10G tank, I got the bacteria cloud, but cleared up within I think 6 hours. What bothered me more was this sort of sulfur/egg smell.

That went away after 24 hours.

But keep in mind with the filters I was using during my cycle they where pumping into the tank about 250-300 gallons/hour.

I'm not sure how much water your filter moves. IT doesn't really say, but I'll assume 25-50GPH.

Don't buy any of those water clarification solutions. Save your money for plants and toys. It'll clear up in a couple days hopefully when you filter takes in more water.

• What are you feeding your betta, how much & how often?
  • Are you testing your tank water?
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #5 
bettabubbles25

I feed him 1-2 pellets twice a day and freeze dried blood worms once a week in place of the pellets.
And no I have never tested my water and don't plan on buying any water chemicals to clear the water.
Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

That fogginess is a bacterial bloom usually associated with a tank trying to cycle. Yes, it will clear up. But I have to suggest you get a liquid test kit (API is common and good) and start paying attention to your water parameters...especially ammonia and nitrites.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #7 
Gale

My new 10 gallon aquarium managed to clear up a bacteria bloom in under 2 days, using a Penguin 100 filter. I'm told that the clouds will most likely come and go as the cycle completes, from the bacteria balancing out and settling in where they can thrive.

Just as long as you monitor toxin levels and do water changes when needed (Above .25ppm Ammonia and Nitrite), Mr. Betta should do just fine. Too much cleaning can prolong the cycle, however. So, resist the urge despite cloudiness.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #8 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
That fogginess is a bacterial bloom usually associated with a tank trying to cycle. Yes, it will clear up. But I have to suggest you get a liquid test kit (API is common and good) and start paying attention to your water parameters...especially ammonia and nitrites.
+1 Ammonia can spike very high and kill your betta, so it is always good to have a test kit. http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater...s=api+test+kit

Win that amount of water and one betta however you should be safe as far as ammonia poisoning. If you do notice anything strange, whether behavior or something else at least take your water to Petsmart for testing.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote