Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #21 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post
I suggest reading her book and ignoring 99% of everything you read on forums. Her book is very informative and is often misinterpreted. I have not tried her method yet but I have researched it and read her book...I was simply amazed by the amount of people out there who claim to be using this method and they had everything wrong! Its like they got a list of things needed and then put it together how ever they wanted. You can safely use the organic choice potting mix...just get it wet and make a mud out of it,layer the bottom of the tank with it...add a little bit of pure clay or clay kitty litter here and there{just sprinkle it around}and then cap it with sand or other substrate....capping it, is very important. once you have your plants in there make sure you do not disturb them..if you up root the plants after they have established themselves into the soil you will have a huge mess.
Thanks so much...yes, I have noticed many claiming "Walstad" tanks, and then not following her method. I don't have her book, I am just researching her ACTUAL interview and real tanks...Oh, and thanks for the kitty litter (clay) tip...I was going to ask about that too! I still need to make a list of plants and find where I am ordering them...any tips in this realm would be appreciated! I found one good site that is near my home, so I'm going to try them. They seem pretty knowledgeable and their prices reasonable.

Private message me with any other tips..I don't want to hijack Turtle's thread!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #22 
Turtle4353

I got the Miracle Gro organic potting mix now so hopefully it's good! Anyway, don't worry betta newbie! We're all navigating the same planted waters! Just don't hijack my betta.. Cuz that's serious! Anyway thanks for the advice everyone! I was following a rough 'walstad method' myself before I realized it! El natural... Weird name
Turtle4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #23 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle4353 View Post
I got the Miracle Gro organic potting mix now so hopefully it's good! Anyway, don't worry betta newbie! We're all navigating the same planted waters! Just don't hijack my betta.. Cuz that's serious! Anyway thanks for the advice everyone! I was following a rough 'walstad method' myself before I realized it! El natural... Weird name
I'm glad you got your soil..Even the Miracle Gro organic from here is mostly pine, so I said to heck with it and dug some dirt up from my yard...we'll see how it does lol. I now have the tank, divider, soil, and cap...now to order my plants...I'm hoping by Thursday I can do that. I need batteries for my camera too..I want to document this step by step..let's hope the story has a happy ending ha ha ha. And I said, "hijack your thread" lol, NOT your betta!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #24 
Turtle4353

Actually I had a betta NAMED Thread lol weird huh?
Turtle4353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #25 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle4353 View Post
Actually I had a betta NAMED Thread lol weird huh?
LOL...yes, that is too funny! Ha ha ha...thanks I needed a giggle today!