Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #11 
Bettanewbie60

Oh, and I would like to add a couple MTSs if you can let me know about these also.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

For a soil based tank you need lots of stem plants and at least one type of floating plant like water lettuce.....
For a 10gal I would get at least 2-3 bunched of 3-4 different stem plants-you usually get 5-12 stems in a bunch. Rosette are fine too as well as your moss and ferns-but the fast growing stem and floating plants are what keeps the water fish safe. Once the soil matures and starts its life underwater (about 3 months) you can start removing some of the stem to use on another NPT-You should have to make your first trim in about 7-10 days-this will tell you that the tank is doing well. Either re-plant them or save to start another tank.
You don't need to worry about the nitrogen cycle since you will be doing the silent cycle. The active plant growth will take care of the water. Its not uncommon to not have nitrate show up for a long time if ever since the plants use the ammonia before conversion-but the nitrogen cycle is still happening.
http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...plants_c14.htm

You need at least 10h/day photoperiod to start using a 6500k daylight bulb along with the natural sunlight.
Make sure the partition between the light and water is always clean or remove it all together for best light penetration to the plants.

For 10gal-Use 1-1.5 inches of dirt and cap that with half as much as the soil...about half inch or so-The cap is just to help keep the soil in place.

Place your filter and heater in the tank after you add the soil and before you add the hard scape and plant-This way you know that they won't be in the way-Place a hard scape item under the overflow of your filter so you don't get kick up.

MTS-trumpet snail-yes you need them to help aerate the soil to prevent anaerobic spots and they help a bit with clean up of algae and dead/dieing plant/organic matter. Common snails IMO/E are an important part of the closed ecosystem especially in soil based tanks. MTS are live bearing snails and can get out of control unless you keep them in check by manual removal on a regular bases.

Once planted, scaped and filled-make water changes until the water is clear.

When I setup an NPT-I add all my livestock including the fish the same day-

Look forward to pics....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
For a soil based tank you need lots of stem plants and at least one type of floating plant like water lettuce.....
For a 10gal I would get at least 2-3 bunched of 3-4 different stem plants-you usually get 5-12 stems in a bunch. Rosette are fine too as well as your moss and ferns-but the fast growing stem and floating plants are what keeps the water fish safe. Once the soil matures and starts its life underwater (about 3 months) you can start removing some of the stem to use on another NPT-You should have to make your first trim in about 7-10 days-this will tell you that the tank is doing well. Either re-plant them or save to start another tank.
You don't need to worry about the nitrogen cycle since you will be doing the silent cycle. The active plant growth will take care of the water. Its not uncommon to not have nitrate show up for a long time if ever since the plants use the ammonia before conversion-but the nitrogen cycle is still happening.
http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...plants_c14.htm

You need at least 10h/day photoperiod to start using a 6500k daylight bulb along with the natural sunlight.
Make sure the partition between the light and water is always clean or remove it all together for best light penetration to the plants.

For 10gal-Use 1-1.5 inches of dirt and cap that with half as much as the soil...about half inch or so-The cap is just to help keep the soil in place.

Place your filter and heater in the tank after you add the soil and before you add the hard scape and plant-This way you know that they won't be in the way-Place a hard scape item under the overflow of your filter so you don't get kick up.

MTS-trumpet snail-yes you need them to help aerate the soil to prevent anaerobic spots and they help a bit with clean up of algae and dead/dieing plant/organic matter. Common snails IMO/E are an important part of the closed ecosystem especially in soil based tanks. MTS are live bearing snails and can get out of control unless you keep them in check by manual removal on a regular bases.

Once planted, scaped and filled-make water changes until the water is clear.

When I setup an NPT-I add all my livestock including the fish the same day-

Look forward to pics....
You are too cool OFL..thanks so much. I am getting a little intimidated by all the technical jargon lol, but I will press on. I'm not the type to back down from a challenge...I hope ha ha ha.
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote