Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #1 
BruceWayneBetta

Question New Betta owner with a few questions

Hello! My family purchased 3 male Bettas today. I've been reading a lot about them over the last week. I do have a few questions though.

Two of the males are going into a divided 10 gallon tank. I have read mixed reviews on males sharing a tank, so I hope this will be enough space for them. The divider is mesh. If we can see that it's not going to work out, we'll go for a divider that they can't see through or separate them altogether. The third male is going in his own 2.5 gallon tank. We plan to upgrade him to a larger tank as soon as we can. So, here are my questions...

1. What size/kind of filter and heater do I need for the 2.5 gallon tank? It didn't come with either and I want to get both ASAP.

2. How do I acclimate the fish to the new tanks? I keep reading about floating the bag, but they came in cups with lids. I read that I need to wait at least 24 hours. After that, do I put a bit of water from the cup into the tank and vice versa? I just want to make sure I get this transition right.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

**Our new Bettas are Bruce Wayne, Marina and Ghost Roaster. I named Bruce, but my kids chose the other two. I'll post pictures as soon as everything is ready.
BruceWayneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

2.5 is a little small.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

2.5 gallons is great actually! :)
1. You don't need a filter but I recommend sponge filters as Bettas won't get sucked up and they're mostly gentle. You'd have a hard time cycling but it can be done. I suggest the Hydor THEO heater as it's adjustable and perfect for tanks 5 gallons and below. I have it and my tank is a steady 78F.
2. The acclimation process may take a while... First off, you float the fish's cup on the surface of the tank to get the fish accustomed to the temperature, let it float for 30 minutes. Remember that the fish is in the cup! And then, you take the cup out of the water and pour out 50% of the cup. The fish is still inside! And then you add a little bit of tank water into the cup. Let the cup stay there for 10-15 minutes and then add more tank water. Repeat until the cup is full and then gently let him swim out. And done. :)

If you need anymore help, feel free to message me.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #4 
BruceWayneBetta

Thanks! I read that I probably didn't need a filter for a tank that small, but then I read that I did. I do realize if I don't that I'll just need to clean it more often. Would 50% twice a week be enough for that size?
BruceWayneBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

For the 2.5 gallon? If it's filtered, you would have to do 2 50%s per week or 1 75% per week. <--- You would have to do this when it's cycled. If it's not yet cycled, just do 2 50% changes until it is. If not filtered, you do a 100% and a 50% per week. It's true you need to clean it more often but it's worth it for the Betta.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #6 
Jully

1. What size/kind of filter and heater do I need for the 2.5 gallon tank? It didn't come with either and I want to get both ASAP. They make some heaters for 2 - 5 gallons, look for a 25 watt heater. And I would recommend the "Tetra Whisper 10i" filter there should be a setting where you can put it low, and it'll be fine for your betta. I put mine very close to low and into the middle so it keeps my tank clean. I would get a thermonter as well to manage the right temperature OR if it gets over what it's suppose to be it can kill your betta. If it gets to low it can kill your betta, or at least get him more sick

2. How do I acclimate the fish to the new tanks? I keep reading about floating the bag, but they came in cups with lids. I read that I need to wait at least 24 hours. After that, do I put a bit of water from the cup into get a small ziplock bag, if the cup barely has water in it carefully put the cup into the bag on a desk and then make it close to the corner, pour it in the corner so your betta has enough water to breath and has water zip the bag and carefully let it float in the tank make sure he's on a corner so he has enough water from his cup. Let him float for 10 minutes, after 10 minutes get a cup and scoop up the tank water and pour it in the bag, wait 15 minutes, after that, get a bowl and put the bag over the bowl, ether pour the water gently so he falls in the net this is RISKY though since there is barely water, or get the net and try to scoop him up and carefully and fast put him in the tank. Remember to turn the TANK Light off when doing this.
Jully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

2.5 is too small for a first time owner.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Not really, it's a great size. It's awesome that the OP didn't put him in a bowl and not get a heater. A 2.5 gallon is perfect for a 1st time owner. :)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #9 
teeneythebetta

2.5 gallons is a fine sized tank for someone who is aware of and willing to perform proper water changes to keep ammonia down.
that being said, any betta would appreciate a bigger tank. So wether you upgrade or not, water changes are the most important
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #10 
Bettanewbie60

I have one of my males in a 2.5, and I do one 50% on Wed. and 100% on Sat. I love this tank too! It obviously is not a cycled tank, and it isn't filtered. Best of luck with all your new guys!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote