Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #1 
sonyafly

VERY sick Betta. SOS

My step sons fish is very sick. We have tried Tetra's Fungus Guard (several treatments) and Tetra Lifeguard. As far as I know he has only had one treatment. I will try to find a way to post a picture of him. He started out with just a white patch on his body by his dorsal fin. We got him o the fungus guard and then it just got worse from there. The fungus guard says it clears fungus and bacteria.

I capitalized my answers hoping it helps visibility. HOpe it doesn't make it harder to read!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 GALLONS

What temperature is your tank? DON'T KNOW

Does your tank have a filter? NO

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO

Is your tank heated? YES BUT HEATER JUST TURNS ON AND OFF, NO SETTINGS.

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NONE

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BETTA PELLETS (BRAND UNKNOWN) AND OCCASSIONAL FREEZE DRIED BLOOD WORMS FROM TETRA AS A TREAT

How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 KERNEL 3 TIMES DAILY

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? ONCE PER WEEK

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TETRA BETTA SAFE & A LITTLE AQUARIUM SALT

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? WHITE PATCH & CLAMPED FINS INITIALLY. NOW, SWOLLEN BODY, TROUBLE EATING (CANT SUCK IN THE FOOD BUT HAS APPETITE), HIS SCALES ARE NOW STICKING OUT, AND HIS COLOR HAS CHANGED, HE IS PALE ON THE BOTTOM.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? SPENDING MORE TIME ON BOTTOM OF TANK. LESS OUTGOING

When did you start noticing the symptoms? MONTHS AGO, IT'S GETTING WORSE AND WORSE. BEEN TRYING TO HEAL HIM

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? TETRA FUNGUS GUARD FOR 3 TREATMENTS. WHEN HE GOT WORSE WE SWICHED TO TETRA LIFEGUARD. DID TWO TREATMENTS OF LIFEGUARD A WEEK APART. WE ALSO USED 1 TABLESPOON OF AQUARIUM SALT WITH THE LIFEGUARD ON THE FIRST TREAMENT.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?

How old is your fish (approximately)? WE GOT HIM ABOUT 9 MONTHS AGO AT PETSMART.
sonyafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You can not have 0 of each waste or at least very hard salt bath might help.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #3 
sonyafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
You can not have 0 of each waste or at least very hard salt bath might help.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about zero. I will look up a salt bath. Thank you.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 
lelei

Water changes should be more frequent..and yu will need to get a thermometer for monitoring temperature..if under 77 that is low..and bettas immune system cannot fight infectins..or secondary diseases..if other meds are not working..he will need daily clean warm water tank changes in a hospital tank with a little Aquarium salt.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #5 
lelei

If he is bloated..and pineconing..scales stickin out that could be dropsy..and only Epsom salt is good for that..but sometimes fatal..if you have epsom that is a better option..
Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #6 
sonyafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Water changes should be more frequent..and yu will need to get a thermometer for monitoring temperature..if under 77 that is low..and bettas immune system cannot fight infectins..or secondary diseases..if other meds are not working..he will need daily clean warm water tank changes in a hospital tank with a little Aquarium salt.
What is a hospital tank. He is alone in his 2 gallon tank.

Should we keep treating him or just go buy the thermometer and new heater?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #7 
lelei

Keep treatung in yur tank and get thermometer
Old 09-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #8 
sonyafly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
Keep treatung in yur tank and get thermometer
Thank you, on our way to the store. What should we put me in for his salt bath? All we have is his tank and the cup he came in?
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #9 
lelei

The best way to do it, is to do the epsome salt 1tsp per gal, start with 1/2 to see if it produces results, if not, then go for the 1tsp, and do daily water changes at 100% replacing the salt as you go..Please update us on his progress..I wish you luck:) Keep on doing the treatment for 4-7 days..
Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #10 
lelei

His original tank is fine, I use a Kritter keeper, just so in case anything goes wrong, you wont be contaminating the main tank..I use KK 1.75 gal