Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #1 
savmom

Question Newbie: not sure what this silvery patch is?

My daughter received a Betta for her birthday. We did the set-up procedures outlined in another betta forum and for the last several months, all has been fine. A couple days ago, I noticed an unusual silvery spot on his head. Also, a couple scales were flapping when he swam (they have since fallen off). The tank only has a plant, gravel and Squidwards House.

I will bold my answers for easier reading.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes/No There is a bubble stone but it is unplugged at the moment.
Is your tank heated? Not right now as it is very warm here in AZ & the tank stays 76-78*
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? snail not sure what type

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets twice per day (he would eat all day if we let him lol)

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Forgot the name but it's stuff you add to make the tap water safe (from Petco)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes

If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7.8
Hardness: 75
Alkalinity: 120

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Silvery patch on his head, few scales missing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems slightly lethargic but will still swim quickly to the top when anyone approaches the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown

Here is a picture. The spot is on his head right between his eyes. The other white spots are marks on the outside of the tank glass and not on him. I apologize for the picture he refused to hold still while I photographed him

Thanks for any suggestions!
savmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #2 
RIPSparky

I dont really think its something to worry about. he's such a cute betta! how old is he, and your betta dont bother the snail? if hes over a year , it could be from getting old. :P

but i dont think its nothing to worry about
RIPSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 
maggie9059789

By scales falling off, does it look anything like it's been kinda rubbed off? I find that Squidward's house might have a bit of rough edges especially in the window part. U might want to make sure it's not too rough and can file or sand paper it down a bit then rinse it again.
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #4 
savmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie9059789 View Post
By scales falling off, does it look anything like it's been kinda rubbed off? I find that Squidward's house might have a bit of rough edges especially in the window part. U might want to make sure it's not too rough and can file or sand paper it down a bit then rinse it again.

I will try to take a better picture tomorrow but it does appear as though he rubbed off part of the scales on his head. I have removed Squiwards house for the time being. He is back to his usual perky, jumping, bite your finger when you feed him self today.

This fish stuff stresses me out! I had no idea caring for one small critter could be so complicated. I think I was more prepared to be a new mother than to handle fish care lol! We love him though and would not want anything bad to happen to him, no matter the cost!

Thanks for the replies, I feel a little less stressed out about it now
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

The spot with the missing scales - does it have a fuzzy growth?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 AM   #6 
savmom

Nothing fuzzy at all thank goodness! It just looks like he rubbed off part of his "skin" (well if he were human that is what it would look like) and there is a very slight indent where the scales are missing. The area has a silvery cast to it when the light hits it just right. I spent an hour trying to take his picture and every time I approached the tank with the camera, he hid behind the plant!

Here is a better pic. There is a slight double image of his fins from the flash & his quick movements (and a horrible water spot on the outside of the tank covering his eye sheesh), but you can see the silvery spot on his head better over his left eye. I am a cruddy photographer lol!