Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta Acting Strange

2K views 73 replies 11 participants last post by  Sapphoira 
#1 · (Edited)
Betta Behavior

Hi there.

I got a Betta a month ago. Since I got him, he has always been hungry, which I always took to be a good sign, since I just make sure not to give him too much, twice a day. The second the food hits the water, he attacks it. A couple days this week, I have come home from work at about 8, turned on the lights in the house, and found him "sleeping" in the top corner, something which I did not notice before. I attempt to feed him, and he doesn't eat.
This morning I changed his water and cleaned his rocks of any rotting food, so his place is 100% clean. I gave him water that had been sitting for two days in clean containers. Tonight I get home and there he is in the corner, so I gently woke him up and turned all my lights on. He swims around a bit, but somewhat lazily, and still did not eat. Then he kept on gobbling up air every 5 seconds for a bit, which had never happened before.
One last thing, when I wake up every morning, he is active and healthy appearing and eats like normal. I'm worried something might be wrong with him though, because the temperature is usually about 79-82/3 degrees at night, and dips down to the mid 70's by morning. Usually it's 76 at say, 10 AM, and 80 at 10 PM.

My question is:
What might be wrong with him in this scenario?

Thanks for taking the time to read, any advice is appreciated. I think I'm going to get a PH and ammonia kit tomorrow. I want to get a small plant for his home soon too.
If this is nothing I'd be happy to delete the thread.

See less See more
#3 ·
You should save your money for a heater instead of a ph/ammonia kit. I haven't plugged in my adjustable heater in any of my betta tanks till just a few days ago.

It's going to be in the 60's tonight. But the room they're being kept in is in the 80's right now.

What you're describing is a betta that's cold and instead of eating, he's trying to conserve is energy to stay warm.

#4 ·
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

#11 ·
You don't need an airator, bettas breath from the surface. You don't *need* pellets but they are easier to feed and it's easier to portion out!
--
Building a bubble nest just means they are alive, it does not mean they are happy and healthy... Lebron has a thread about it...
--
In a one quart bowl you should be doing water changes ALOT more frequently I have a filtered 5 gallon, and 7.5 gallon, both of those get weekly water changes..

#14 ·
Thanks to the last 3 guys for the recommendabtions. I'll head to Petco after work tomorrow.

To clarify to "paintedOaks"- I do NOT have him in a quart of water, except for the 15 minutes it takes to clean his tank thoroughly (without soap, I know). It is a one gallon set up. My next objective is to buy a small plant, however all the ones at petco have snails on them, so I'm going to drive to the store about a half hour away to get something nice for him.

PS- How do you guys take your fish out to clean their home? Do you chase him with a small bowl or use a net? I'm afraid of a net tearing fins or scaring him too much. Plus I don't like the idea of unceremoniously dumping him from a net into a bowl and back to the tank.

#16 ·
I keep my male in a 10 gallon just suck a few gallons a week it is easier female in community 20 gallon suck around half the water out a week.

#15 ·
Anything with Fish meal as the first ingredient is fish meal your fish without a bigger tank will a severely shortened life re homing it is a better idea.

#20 ·
Zebra, you seem like you are really trying, and that's good. A lot of the people here are very passionate about fish and really want the best for all of them, even yours. Get the pellets, I use Hakari Bio-Gold, but New Life Spectrum is really good, too. And a net is best in a small container like that, or, if you're going to use a cup, use a clear one, so he won't see it coming, less stress. The net won't hurt his fins and as long as it's done quickly without any accidents, moving him either way is fine. Just get it done fast so he's not too upset. (Thanks for the wording, I had a mental image of a ceremony centered around moving a betta from one container to another.. long black robes, chanting.. yeah... I'm strange.)

Do you have a thermometer in there? If you said you did, I somehow missed it. Grab one when you have the chance. they're only a dollar or two. All of this will be a great start to getting him healthy and happy. But as soon as you have the money for a larger tank, get one. He'll be a thousand times happier and healthy in something 2.5 gallons or more. even doubling his current home would be good. I know sometimes money is tight, but thrift stores sometimes have bowls and containers that are large enough for a betta, and you can check Craigslist. Or ask your friends, someone might have a tank they're not using.

#22 ·
Yes, but that's what Zebra has for now. You can't be sure anyways. A heavy finned Betta might like a 1 gallon tank rather than a 5 because of their finnage.

#30 ·
I should also say that I make sure the afternoon light doesn't cook the tank through the window, however awesome it makes his fins look. During the winter though, that might be a bonus in terms of cold management. Like I said, bridge to cross later.

#43 ·
That's fine :) I used to give my fish some sun time when I had one in a 1g. bwcareful though that in winder the cold sneaks in from the window XD
So supervision at all times is advised!

edit: add me to the clueless list! I know hugh jackman is famous, But I have no idea who he actually is

#35 ·
Can I ask what area you live in? I know a lot of people who don't need heaters because they live in warm areas.

#37 ·
Connecticut. I think I'll need to see what the room temp is once October comes in. It's my living room, so it's heated through the day.

+1 Who's Hugh Jackman?
Wolverine!

BTW, thanks for keeping your advice objective. If I find myself with more space and free time, I'll try to eventually get a 3 gallon. For now though, I just want to do the best I can with what I have.

#52 ·
DO YOUR JOB OR YOU'RE FIRED! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxqKDe8U6rY&feature=related

My tank is similar to that one, however without a plant yet. The camera angle allows for no perception on depth. I wouldn't mind one (plant) like that only a little smaller and instead of in the gravel, attached to a piece of driftwood to make 100% changes easier. Like you said, a little more effort but it's worth it.
It's fine, don't worry.

#48 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxqKDe8U6rY&feature=related

My tank is similar to that one, however without a plant yet. The camera angle allows for no perception on depth. I wouldn't mind one (plant) like that only a little smaller and instead of in the gravel, attached to a piece of driftwood to make 100% changes easier. Like you said, a little more effort but it's worth it.

#49 ·
That's no excuse.. it's Wolverine! I thought kids loved comic books! >.>

If you say Justin Beaber is good looking, I will disown you and take away your allowance. *evil cackle*

#53 ·
That's a fine tank if you keep it clean. That's the main thing, is keeping the water clean. If you get a thermometer, you can monitor the temp and eventually get a heater. If you don't mind changing the water at least twice a week with that tank, you can get a heater like this:

These heaters can be buried under the gravel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.