Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyJean View Post
Zebra, you seem like you are really trying, and that's good. A lot of the people here are very passionate about fish and really want the best for all of them, even yours. Get the pellets, I use Hakari Bio-Gold, but New Life Spectrum is really good, too. And a net is best in a small container like that, or, if you're going to use a cup, use a clear one, so he won't see it coming, less stress. The net won't hurt his fins and as long as it's done quickly without any accidents, moving him either way is fine. Just get it done fast so he's not too upset. (Thanks for the wording, I had a mental image of a ceremony centered around moving a betta from one container to another.. long black robes, chanting.. yeah... I'm strange.)

Do you have a thermometer in there? If you said you did, I somehow missed it. Grab one when you have the chance. they're only a dollar or two. All of this will be a great start to getting him healthy and happy. But as soon as you have the money for a larger tank, get one. He'll be a thousand times happier and healthy in something 2.5 gallons or more. even doubling his current home would be good. I know sometimes money is tight, but thrift stores sometimes have bowls and containers that are large enough for a betta, and you can check Craigslist. Or ask your friends, someone might have a tank they're not using.
He will be 100,000 happier in a heated filtered decorated 5 gallon.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #22 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, but that's what Zebra has for now. You can't be sure anyways. A heavy finned Betta might like a 1 gallon tank rather than a 5 because of their finnage.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #23 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
He will be 100,000 happier in a heated filtered decorated 5 gallon.
And I would be 100,000 times happier on a nude beach in Hawaii with Hugh Jackman. But we can't have everything we want, and some of us are simply doing the best we can. When a person comes asking for help on this forum, we should NOT be telling them to give away their pets, we should be doing what we can to help them care for their new family member. You seem to have forgotten that.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Yes, but that's what Zebra has for now. You can't be sure anyways. A heavy finned Betta might like a 1 gallon tank rather than a 5 because of their finnage.
Yeah love it to death especially without heater.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #25 
zebra3

Quote:
Zebra, you seem like you are really trying, and that's good. A lot of the people here are very passionate about fish and really want the best for all of them, even yours. Get the pellets, I use Hakari Bio-Gold, but New Life Spectrum is really good, too. And a net is best in a small container like that, or, if you're going to use a cup, use a clear one, so he won't see it coming, less stress. The net won't hurt his fins and as long as it's done quickly without any accidents, moving him either way is fine. Just get it done fast so he's not too upset. (Thanks for the wording, I had a mental image of a ceremony centered around moving a betta from one container to another.. long black robes, chanting.. yeah... I'm strange.)

Do you have a thermometer in there? If you said you did, I somehow missed it. Grab one when you have the chance. they're only a dollar or two. All of this will be a great start to getting him healthy and happy. But as soon as you have the money for a larger tank, get one. He'll be a thousand times happier and healthy in something 2.5 gallons or more. even doubling his current home would be good. I know sometimes money is tight, but thrift stores sometimes have bowls and containers that are large enough for a betta, and you can check Craigslist. Or ask your friends, someone might have a tank they're not using.
Thanks for not just blasting me like a couple other people. I'm going to better decorate his tank and get some nicer food for him and see how he likes that. I got a thermometer. The temperature stays between 76 and 82, usually around 80. During the winter months it might be around 77. I'll cross that bridge later.

One sentence posts stating that I'm a fish murderer are a little redundant after the first three. The damn thing could be dying in a cup at Petco. Instead it gets cared for by someone who gives half a crap. So lay off.
zebra3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta

Zebra, it's fine! Just do your best and ignore rude comments. Remember, at least your fish won't be suffering that much in a tank that size.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
And I would be 100,000 times happier on a nude beach in Hawaii with Hugh Jackman. But we can't have everything we want, and some of us are simply doing the best we can. When a person comes asking for help on this forum, we should NOT be telling them to give away their pets, we should be doing what we can to help them care for their new family member. You seem to have forgotten that.
If you can not provide for a pet you do not deserve the pet a five is considered by many the minimum because of cleaning filtering heating decorations and exercise.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Zebra, it's fine! Just do your best and ignore rude comments. Remember, at least your fish won't be suffering that much in a tank that size.
In a one gallon that is unheated they will always suffer.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #29 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Yeah love it to death especially without heater.
They don't need a heater if the temperature is stable and warm. :) Choco, chill out! Zebra is doing the best S/He can, so please don't lash.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #30 
zebra3

I should also say that I make sure the afternoon light doesn't cook the tank through the window, however awesome it makes his fins look. During the winter though, that might be a bonus in terms of cold management. Like I said, bridge to cross later.
zebra3 is offline   Reply With Quote