Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #1 
bilbey123

Please Help, Sick Betta.

Hi,
Two days ago my mum and I went to the fish shop to buy some sand. Anyway my mum got side tracked and had a look at the betta girls, there was a really nice looking one and despite me telling her that she couldn't go in with my fish she bought it.

We put her in a guppy breeder tank in my 5g tank with my other female. They started flaring at each other and what not. On Sunday we put them in with each other with the intention of taking my Mum's fish out straight away. They fought only once which involved a lot a fin slapping so i tool my Mums fish out straight away and set up a new tank.

After a day in the new tank my Mum's fish's lips have gone really think and white, I think it is mouth fungus but im not sure, can anybody shed light on this ?

(I know she shouldn't have gone in a 5g with another female but i couldn't convince my mum of this )
bilbey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:17 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Two females should never be together 3 is the minimum 5 is better but you need at least a 10 gallon putting a sick fish with a healthy fish is a bad idea unless it is some thing like fin rot were they need bad water quality salt bath or medications a new tank is a better idea.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #3 
Silverfang

IF you divided the tank they could live together in the 5gal.

Females can be every bit as aggressive as males. You said her lip has gone white, does it look cottony or fuzzy? It could be fungus or the dreaded columnarious. Separate them immediately. Get her in another container, even if it's the cup she came in. You don't want both girls to get sick.

Do you have any aquarium salt? It works great for fin/scale issues. It can also fight off fungus. Many members use a gallon milk jug and rinse it out well in scalding hot water. Then premix water and salt for treatment. IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) is commonly recommended. They are ordered online. Dried Oak leaves, pesticide free can also be used.

I'm confident in telling you to start AQ salt treatment, 1tsp/gal until we know more. Depending on if it is columnarious or not you may need stronger meds, in that case Kanaplex/Kanamyacin is recommended. Do not raise her temperature, fungus and columnarious both thrive in warmer temps, 76/77 will prevent excess growth. Lowering the temps further will not have any effect.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 AM   #4 
bilbey123

well i started the salt treatment but she isn't getting any better. Today it is as if her head weighs a ton and she has trouble swimming. When she manages to get air she then floats all the way back down to the bottom and hits the pebbles with her face then just lays there. I honestly don't think she'll last much longer :(
Old 09-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #5 
bilbey123

She just passed away :'(