Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #11 
scurrie11

The reason why my water parameters are funky right now is because of the move. It's happening with my other tank as well. They were both perfectly cycled before and then I had to change a lot of water and now they're trying to get back to normal. You don't normally see all three, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all spike at the same time. So I think in a few days it should settle, with a few warm water changes, a little salt, and some sweet lovin' they should be ok, right? I'm gonna get my heater soon. I forgot it in my hermit crab tank. (I have the heater in a vase with a bubbler to keep the humidity up, thats beside the point) and I don't need the heater in there anymore, I meant to grab it. I guess I expected it to stay a little warmer up here in Maine for a little longer. I try not to use the heater in the summer because their water gets up to 85 and stays there for the most part. Right now I'm using my hood lamp as a heater, it heats the water to about 77 and once I get my Aqueon up here, I'll plop that in, and they'll be super toasty :]

ChoclateBetta, I don't know what you mean when you say my nitrates are too high, they are at a pretty good level right now...And the fact that I have nitrates indicates that my cycle is trying to fix itself. Why would I want a plant to get rid of my nitrates when they're only at 5ppm? I don't have any room in the filter to put a peace lily...
scurrie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrie11 View Post
The reason why my water parameters are funky right now is because of the move. It's happening with my other tank as well. They were both perfectly cycled before and then I had to change a lot of water and now they're trying to get back to normal. You don't normally see all three, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all spike at the same time. So I think in a few days it should settle, with a few warm water changes, a little salt, and some sweet lovin' they should be ok, right? I'm gonna get my heater soon. I forgot it in my hermit crab tank. (I have the heater in a vase with a bubbler to keep the humidity up, thats beside the point) and I don't need the heater in there anymore, I meant to grab it. I guess I expected it to stay a little warmer up here in Maine for a little longer. I try not to use the heater in the summer because their water gets up to 85 and stays there for the most part. Right now I'm using my hood lamp as a heater, it heats the water to about 77 and once I get my Aqueon up here, I'll plop that in, and they'll be super toasty :]

ChoclateBetta, I don't know what you mean when you say my nitrates are too high, they are at a pretty good level right now...And the fact that I have nitrates indicates that my cycle is trying to fix itself. Why would I want a plant to get rid of my nitrates when they're only at 5ppm? I don't have any room in the filter to put a peace lily...
5.0 is way to high you need to lower it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #13 
scurrie11

I'm sorry......nitrates, last thing on the cycle, should always be present in a tank, 5.0 is pretty much the lowest you can have it and still have it be beneficial. They shouldn't go above 20ppm, thats when they are slightly harmful...I think you might be getting your nitrite mixed up with your nitrate :P

VERY true about them getting depressed when their tank buddy is removed. When I separated them for the move, both were freaking out and looking for each other. When I put one in the tank, he was SEARCHING for the other. They do flare, but not all the time. Like, maybe once every couple of hours or something. They do like to look at each other. I feel like they have little competitions with each other, see who's prettier, etc :P

ChoclateBetta, to each his own. I chose to put them in a 5 gallon so I could bring them to school with me. I would say that it is much better than the dinky cup they were in for a long time. It has a filter, I do partial water changes often. I don't really think that a 5 is too small when many people prefer to keep them in 1 gallons with no filter.

I realize my parameters are not exceptional right now, but I know exactly why that is. It's not because it is overstocked, it's because I shocked the tank with the move and now it's all confused. I'm hoping it will level out with a few small water changes over the next week. I've had this tank set up for a while now, it's not new.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

yup nitrates can go from 20ppm to 40ppm before a water change is due
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

That's why water changes are done to get rid of nitrates :) Which is what she does!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #16 
scurrie11

I'm not trying to get rid of the nitrates...I want them in there to help break down the ammonia and the nitrites...Exactly what aokashi said, if I didn't do water changes, then I would get plants. But I really don't want to buy a bunch of live plants and have to deal with them too. I'd rather do small water changes. Thank you for that input though.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #17 
scurrie11

Did you just call me a he.....

Now I'm insulted.... :P

ChoclateBetta, this tank has been set up for months now, the original cycle has already happened. If you actually took time to read my posts, you'd see that the problem is that I just moved and had to add and take out a lot of the original water. THAT is why my parameters are funky. I think I've said that 3 times now... All three toxins are present in my tank. That only happens when the tank is shocked or when the tank is finishing up a cycle. Since my cycle happened months ago, the toxins are weird because I shocked the tank with a lot of new water. The bacteria and toxins from their original water was added so that I didn't have to do a fishless cycle when I moved. There wasn't any possible way for me to re-cycle an entire tank and move my fish and everything. So I did what I could.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #18 
scurrie11

I'm not going to argue about this anymore. The nitrates are not even a problem right now. I know what to do for him and I'll post about what happens in a week or so. I gotta go feed him, he's giving me those darn betta begging eyes... :P
Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #19 
ao
TFK Moderator

Cycling is a process where bacteria takes ammonia, and turns it into nitrites.
then another type of bacteria turns nitrites into nitrates.
Nothing gets rid of nitrates so water changes are performed.

nitrates are no where as toxic as nitrite or ammonia. there may be up to 20-40 parts per million of nitrates in the water before a water change is performed.

OPs tank right now shows 5 (five ) ppm of nitrates which is very safe

OP's tank had already been cycled before the move, which means the bacteria is present. however she may have some die off in the move and hence the cycle is now not so stable. Her cycle is now re establishing and she is doing water changes, not so much to lower nitrates, but rather thw ammonia and nitrite levels.

I myself am a big plants fan, but many people keep fish using purely the nitrogen cycle and water changes to keep tank water safe :) I'm not familiar with books on the matter. So I cant recommend you any but it's a fascinatig topic to look up if you have time

Last edited by ao; 09-03-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #20 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrie11 View Post
I'm not going to argue about this anymore. The nitrates are not even a problem right now. I know what to do for him and I'll post about what happens in a week or so. I gotta go feed him, he's giving me those darn betta begging eyes... :P
okies' happy feeding!