Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #31 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Okay, I just removed about half of this thread. Hopefully it's okay now.

Please, everyone, stop arguing about tank size, and nitrates. 5ppm nitrates? A betta can't even feel that.

Thank you,
Olympia.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #32 
scurrie11

Thank you Olympia!
scurrie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #33 
scurrie11

Aren't they good looking? Bleu had fin problems when I got him from petco, no one wanted him, he was there for so long, and look at how nice he is now!!!! I'm not normally a veiltail girl, but oh my goodness Calvin is just the sweetest little guy :] And he was at the store for months too, now they're my buds :]

OK! I got him to sit still, mesmerized him with my finger, they are are little fuzzy, but I think you'll be able to see them.

I circled the spots where it is.
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...61248146_n.jpg
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...36393740_n.jpg

He has too many fringy fins, he looks like a porcupine.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #34 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Do you have hard water? I think fins split more often in hard water/high pH. If anything, they grow back a lot more slowly.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #35 
ao
TFK Moderator

Thankyou Olympia XD
@ scurrie- your babies are lovely XD
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #36 
xjenuhfur

Those looks like splits. Yeah just some warm water and TLC will help heal that. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #37 
scurrie11

I JUST moved here, so I haven't been able to test the actual water yet, my water at home wasn't hard or anything, the pH was good at home. When I tested the TANK pH today, it was around 8, which I feel is too high. I might pick up a gallon or two of spring water, just to make sure. I'm also going to do a test on the actual tap water to see what the pH is coming straight out of there, could be because it is city water.
He does have one really clear split, it was just the little chunks that fell off that concerned me. It looks like someone pulled a few of the fringes off. (I call them fringes, because I have no idea what they're actually called :P)

I really need to get my heater from home because I can't leave their hood light on all the time to heat the water :P It's surprising how well it works....

I'll go do a test on my tap water, see whats going on there.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #38 
Oldfishlady

Nice job on your tank...looks great, however, the plastic plants might cause some fin issue-but I am sure you are already aware of that.

Your 5gal filtered and divided tank for 2 adult Long fin male Bettas is fine for long term keeping-provided that you maintain water quality-but that is with any size tank...again you already know this.....

Your nitrate at 5ppm is fine and expected with an established nitrogen cycle-As others have posted and what you already know...Nitrate is what we use to tell us cycling stages and completeness.
Ideally we want to keep the nitrate under 20ppm, however, 40-60ppm and even higher is tolerated-Its that sudden changes in nitrate that can sometimes shock the immune compromised fish that has been living in high nitrate water since long term high nitrate compromises immunity and can stunt growth. This is where the myth "Water change killed my fish" and "The fish store sold me sick fish" come from....Again you already know this.....

Going back to the isuuse-the CT tattered fins-this most likely was caused by either hard water or the plastic plants or the water movement and/or a combination of all of it. Since his is otherwise acting his normal self-it might be something you have to live with especially if it is related to hard water unless you can use re-mineralized R/O water to get the KH/GH down-You might want to go ahead and remove the plastic plants and if the overflow is on his side-change it so the intake is on his side. I would also increase water changes to 50% daily for a few days-then get on a regular schedule of 50% weekly with vacuum once the nitrogen cycle has established. Adding a second 50% water only won't hurt and adding live plants is always good as long as you have the proper light to support plant growth so they don't become part of the problems regarding water quality.
Adding a tannin source can also be helpful as well as proper nutrition.

A lot of water quality issues often stem from poor quality foods-as well as overall health and longevity-By supporting the immune response with proper nutrition, water quality and water temp the Betta can take care of itself in a sense.....

Have you tested the source water-ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH-do you have KH/GH by chance.....

I would stop using the salt-especially in a non-therapeutic dose-its not needed and you risk creating resistance issue and kidney damage.
Its a great product to use for the right reason, dosage and duration in a QT.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 09-03-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #39 
scurrie11

The other thing I like to use as a test is my glass catfish. I have glass cats in a tropical tank, they're in the same water, and they are REALLY sensitive to things like hard water and pH, so I feel like if it was that, they'd be showing signs of it as well, but they're perfectly fine so far.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #40 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrie11 View Post
The other thing I like to use as a test is my glass catfish. I have glass cats in a tropical tank, they're in the same water, and they are REALLY sensitive to things like hard water and pH, so I feel like if it was that, they'd be showing signs of it as well, but they're perfectly fine so far.
Also thank you for your work.

I live near ODU and one of my friends worked I the Marine Biology dept for 7 years.

Water is so important to all living things!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote