Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #51 
ao
TFK Moderator

have they been flaring at each other? :O Kuro's tail did that when he was under nourished. I have ard water, so I'm not sure if that's it. because these days Kuro flares all the time and he doesn't get a rip anymore
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #52 
scurrie11

They don't flare that much, maybe like, 2-3 times a day, and only for a couple of seconds. Never super aggressively too, just kinda, gill flap things out for a second then done. Sometimes its a little longer. But I didn't notice them doing it yesterday, and I was with them the majority of the day...
scurrie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #53 
Oldfishlady

Any change in behavior or eating habits....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #54 
scurrie11

Oh no! Still the same ol' crazy bettas; flaring at me when I walk by because they know I mean food, biting me when I stick my hand in to fix their tank, begging, tail wagging, sitting in the corner by the hood where the food comes in, inhaling their food....

It's crazy how much bettas are like dogs...

I'm about to test their water and do a change if need be.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #55 
Oldfishlady

With the long fin males-sometimes due to genetic, age, health history, past care history and nutrition-they can have weak fins in general and any small thing in the tank itself, water movement even on low setting and baffled and even the space itself can be the cause of fin damage.

Since this is a domesticated or man made fish, those abnormally long heavy-often delicate fins we created- can be damaged from just swimming or use- especially with any water movement no matter how gentle. While the tattered fins are just a cosmetic issues and as long as steps are taken to prevent a secondary infection from the break in tissue-sometimes it is something we have to live with when we want to keep them in larger decorated tanks.

Due to the delicate fins and not all long fin males have these issues-genetics play a big role along with care and nutrition-Sometimes we have to keep them in small bare containers without any water movement to maintain the long flowing intact fins.

With that said-we can take some step to try and strengthen the fins by use of tannins, proper nutrition and maintaining water quality. Its a balance-especially with water changes since too many can be as bad as not enough. Too many 100% can stress them and this alone can be an issue for overall health. Removal of both the good and bad pathogens and antibody development that can compromise the immune response that leads to imbalance. Its hard to support life in too clean and sterile conditions. I have found with this species using a more holistic approach to work best in maintaining the abnormally Long heavy, delicate fins....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #56 
scurrie11

Alright! Water looks betta already today (see what I did there ;])

I have little if any ammonia, it looks like it could be MAYBE .02 - .05, its barely showing up on my kit. No nitrites today and 5ppm of nitrates. Water is about 77 degrees, which is a decent job being done by my hood lamp. I'm not going to touch them today, keep an eye on them until tomorrow then see whats going on tomorrow.

Also, I just remember I have store use hardness, alkalinity, pH, chlorine, etc strips at my work that I can double check everything with on Friday. Should be good! Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #57 
ao
TFK Moderator

yay :) need new pics when those tails heal!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #58 
scurrie11

Ok...FREAKIEST THING.

I was looking them over today, just trying to see if they had both gotten worse.

There is nothing wrong with either one of them. All their rips are completely healed over. Bleu has a tiny bit of one of his fringie things still missing, but other than that, the huge splits, are gone...completely gone...

I added a few drops of melafix in there a few days ago, I wonder if thats what did it....
Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #59 
ao
TFK Moderator

lol, its normal. bettas heal fast in good environments.
its been 3 days since your first post right? Kuro usually heals in 4 days XD
Old 09-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #60 
scurrie11

I noticed it last night, but was too tired to post about it! It's ridiculous how fast he healed!!!!!