Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2008, 05:58 AM   #11 
sakemomo

yes, that's what happening right now but i don't know what the previous owner meant exactly by him cleaning the filter. i don't know if he replaced everything completely or not. i don't have a test kit right now. i just need any that test for amonia, nitrite and nitrate levels right? i should be able to get that at just about any pet store right?

could someone tell me if this is good for a fully stocked 10 gal or is it still too much?
1 male betta, 1 dwarf frog, 1 cory and 3-4 rummy nose
i know the cory likes to be in groups, would it be ok to only have one?
the reason i want a few rummy nose is because what i've read said they could get aggressive if not kept in small schools.
the reason for the frog is that i really want a frog.
and i already have the betta.
i know from what i've read that the betta, cory, frog combo would work great together and i wanted the tetra to fill in the empty middle space. but i'm learning quite fast that a 10 gal is TINY, so i'm concerned it may be too much for the tank. do i need to cut on numbers again or should i not have tetras at all?
sakemomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #12 
jeaninel

Yes, you should be able to get the test kit at any pet/fish store. Be sure to get the liquid type test kits. API is a good brand. They make a master test kit that includes all the tests you need for ammonia, nitrite,nitrate, Ph. Don't get the test strips as they are inaccurate.

I think I would go for the Betta, the frog (or two, they like to be in groups) and 3-4 cories. That would pretty much fill your 10 gallon. Or skip the cories and go for the rummy noses. But the cories would make a nice cleanup crew for the bottom of your tank.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #13 
sakemomo

thank you everyone that replied. you really helped me out, but i was able to get a hold of a bigger 25G so i will be setting that up instead and have made another thread for it "25G betta centered tank-companion suggestions?" i would greatly appreciate it if you could comment on the possible companions there. i think i have compatibility down, its more a matter of making sure i'm not going to be overstocking. (haha, look at me! already using terminology. hahaha)
sakemomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #14 
jeaninel

Yay...bigger tank! Opens up a little more possibilities for stocking.
Have fun! :D
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #15 
okiemavis

If I were you, I'd keep the 10G running as well, without fish in it. It's very, VERY helpful to use as a hospital tank for a sick fish. Also, this gives you the opportunity to QT any new fish you get, which will keep your betta from catching anything from the new fish you're getting. Have fun!
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #16 
okiemavis

Cycling is when a new tank builds up the helpful bacteria that breaks down fish waste and keeps your water clean. Please read this article:
http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-cycling.html
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #17 
Blaxicanlatino

id cut down on the fish. be careful though cause there be bullying goin on in the tank.

whats water cycling?
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote