Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

Tailbiting

A few days ago it was confirmed Pudge was tailbiting, and this morning it's gotten worse. I normally wouldn't mind but he's tearing his butterfly markings off T-T

Attached is a picture of his tail with arrows pointing to the major damages he's done. The middle one is the most prominent, the one of the left is there, just not so well in the pic. And the one on the right actually points to how is one part of the fin is OVER the gap.

I'm fairly certain that he's doing this because of the heavy finnage, so I don't exactly know how to stoop him. Advice?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

No picture... Hollow Decorations or Tank Light? Tail Biting is mostly caused by stress and boredom so you want tons of decorations and a moderate to dull light. If it's his fins, nothing you can do, sorry. But you can interact with him more, stimulation helps. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #3 
xjenuhfur

What Lebron said, but I'd like to add you can try rearranging his tank, giving him plenty of mirror time and lots of interaction. It's mainly boredom or if he feels his fins are too heavy he'll nom them. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
No picture... Hollow Decorations or Tank Light? Tail Biting is mostly caused by stress and boredom so you want tons of decorations and a moderate to dull light. If it's his fins, nothing you can do, sorry. But you can interact with him more, stimulation helps. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
What Lebron said, but I'd like to add you can try rearranging his tank, giving him plenty of mirror time and lots of interaction. It's mainly boredom or if he feels his fins are too heavy he'll nom them. :)
Oops forgot the pic.

And i cant really redecorate since the log is holding up the dividers...
and the light isn't bright
and im always intereacting with him 0.o
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

I think it's defintily because of his tail.
He lets it droop now instead of holding it like he used to, and I've witnessed him trying to flare, and then giving up because he starts slooping backwards xD
Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #6 
tantora

You can use Catappa Leaves (Indian Almond leaves) with betta tank .
They will heal fish wound , moreover Tannins in Catappa Leaves has benefits to prevent disease from bacteria.
tantora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #7 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Ugh. . . my newest betta Pinkerton has almost bitten his entire tail off! It was bad when I adopted him, but now it is even worse!

BEFORE

Maybe a week after I got him:

Now:

He has an ammonia sensor on his tank, thermometer, live plants, a fake silicone squishy anemone, gravel, a 3-tier hidey castle thing, and DIY hammocks. He gets fed a very wide variety of foods .. and he is really funny and lively and jumps for his food. I gave him 2 Indian Almond leaves, and he has a few squirts of Betta Guard Indian Almond Leaf extract with vitamins in it.

He doesn't flare though, and has escaped 3 times in one day to go "visit" his betta neighbor Limoncello. Once in that tank, he still didn't act aggressive, he just swam around until Limoncello told him off and then he hung around at the bottom of the tank until I caught him.

So .. . it doesn't seem like he should be stressed if he doesn't even flare at his neighbor but wants to go visit. I don't get it. I don't really know what else I can give this little guy except more room. . . but he sure has much more room than before! He is in a 10 gallon split 3 ways with an Aquaclear 20 filter)

Is he just a tailbiter and that is that?
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote