Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 
Joaquin

Location: DEEP IN DA HEARRRT OF TEXASSSS.....I hate that song.
Betta Getting WORSE

Hi, I really need help. (I know it is a lot of information, but PLEASE READ if you have a chance!)
My betta fish seems to be getting worse and worse.

I thought he had a bad case of fin rot, so I used Maracyn 2. His treatment ended a day ago. I do not notice visible signs of healing. I guess his fins are a little less torn, but what is most noticeable is something spreading on his body. His scales are turning yellow-ish white-ish (losing color?) and it is not stopping. Is this part of fin rot?

My camera is not the best at taking good quality pictures, but I made an album where you can see what is happening:

I took out his purple plant yesterday, and I changed his water, adding 1 tsp of Aquarium Salt. I was worried if maybe the plant was holding on to bacteria or something.

Today, he looks like there are little strings on his top "fins" and the weird scale thing is getting close to his eye.

Any ideas on what to do? Should I try a second round of Maracyn 2? What about BETTA FIX?

Thank you for your help! This is highly appreciated.

Quick note/question about water quality:

*I have not bought a test kit, but I've been googling, and it seems API liquid test kits should be good? So when I can get a ride, I will buy it.
*I use Seachem Prime for my betta, but it says that one full cap is for 50 gallons. I have a 1 gallon, and I heard that 2 drops is good for one gallon. Is it okay to use a medicine dropper for those drops? (Mine kind of looks like this: http://www.wildco.com/images/P/7905P40.jpg)

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 09-03-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: removed link to another forum
Joaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #2 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaquin View Post

My camera is not the best at taking good quality pictures, but I made an album where you can see what is happening:
can't see pix, wrong link?

Quote:
I have not bought a test kit, but I've been googling, and it seems API liquid test kits should be good? So when I can get a ride, I will buy it.
yep, you need it.

Quote:
I use Seachem Prime for my betta, but it says that one full cap is for 50 gallons. I have a 1 gallon, and I heard that 2 drops is good for one gallon. Is it okay to use a medicine dropper for those drops? (Mine kind of looks like this: http://www.wildco.com/images/P/7905P40.jpg)
that's good, I use an old eye drop bottle

I know someone more knowledgeable than I will come along soon to help you with the poor fish!

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 09-03-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: removed link to another forum
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Isn't Maracyn 2 for fungal infections and what not? That doesn't look like fin rot to me... It's like his fins got soaked by bleach. :\ Just do a 100% change right now and don't add any medications or salt in there. The bacteria might even get immune to them soon... Bettafix can harm his labyrinth organ with it's tea tree oil and can be fatal. Anything with -fix is actually fatal with their labyrinth. You should buy that test kit as it's accurate and worth the money. 2 drops per gallon is proven for Prime so that's recommended.

I have never seen anything like this so I suggest talking to Sakura8 or Oldfishlady about this. For now, just do a 100% change and don't add anything except maybe IAL or washed dried Oak Leaves.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #4 
lelei

It is best to fill this out as best as you can for more accurate info

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #5 
Joaquin

Here is a link to my album with pictures: http://www.bettafish.com/album.php?albumid=4474

If that doesn't work, you can just go to my profile and view the album called "Disease."

Last edited by Joaquin; 09-03-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #6 
Joaquin

Here is more information, you guys:

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No. It is really warm where I live.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day. 3-4 pellets in the morning and 4 at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I try for everyday. 100% one day, 50% the next day, 100% next day...etc.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% one day, 50% the next day, 100% next day...etc.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime, but I bought a medicine dropper to put two drops per gallon. Is this okay??

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:(I don't have a liquid test kit right now. Whenever I try the strips, they are either yellow or light green for the ammonia one..but I don't understand because I am using the Seachem Prime. I mean, now I use 2 drops from a medicine dropper, but maybe it is not enough??)
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His top fins are really worn down; There is a hole in his tail fin; I'm worried that now one of his lower fins look like they have a red spot; the scales on his body are losing their color. It is spreading on his body, and it is getting near his eye now.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is terrified of me. He was okay with me until I had to leave the house for a while, and I asked a friend to take care of my betta fish. When I came back, my betta fish has been freaking out everytime I try to feed him. He attacks the food and then swims really fast around the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When I took him to my real home. Maybe it was too warm there? It was like 86 degrees sometimes, which I thought was normal...
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I tried salt baths, and now I tried Maracyn 2.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. His fins got a little shredded once because he had plastic plants, but I switched him to silk plants.
How old is your fish (approximately)?I've had him for about 5 months now, so I am not sure...
Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #7 
Joaquin

I used a pH test strip right now, and it was basically at 8.4..........
Old 09-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Strips really inaccurate. Once it told me my pH was 6.5 but it's actually 7.6. Did you contact Sakura8 or OFL?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #9 
Joaquin

Ah, okay. I thought they were kind of...I don't know...Thanks for confirming that they are inaccurate :).
I tried to buy liquid test kits today, but when I got there they were closed for Labor Day.....I felt like punching the wall.

And yes, I just now contacted Oldfishlady and Sakura8. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, I tried to go to Petsmart today but 30 minutes too late. I wish for the best!

Tags
betta fish, betta fish sick, disease, fin rot