Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #1 
Sapphoira

Anacharis is making me feel like I have a black thumb!

Supposedly, it's the beginner's beginner plant. The "you can grow it in a toilet" plant. The "you can't kill it" plant. Well, for me, that's a big no. I put some in my cycled 10g, which has some thriving Java Fern and Water Wisteria already in it. Within a couple of weeks, ALL the Anacharis has completely melted down and created a HUGE mess that I'm still trying to get out of the tank. The shrimp are pretty pleased with all of the fuzzy gross bits of food and cover it provides them, but I feel hopeless! I'm normally very good at keeping plants in general alive, but not this. I'm not using Flourish or anything because I did read that causes a lot of problems with it. I have a light hood, it's not anything special just an incandescent bulb but the tank gets about 8 hours of indirect sunlight as well. I don't have any sort of soil substrate, just sand and gravel, and both the floating and rooted Anacharis are totally done for. I have another batch I've put in my waiting for a filter 20 gal, which has a T5 light strip so maybe if those live it's the lighting?
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #2 
Laki

Could be the lighting or hard vs soft water.
I have the same problem with java fern and hornwort. Even some of my duckweed is dead... I use Flourish (it smells like pennies)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #3 
Silverfang

there is also a species of anachris that does not tolerate higher temps (79, 80). Of course it melts on me too. Same with vals.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #4 
mkayum

It would be something do with your tank's water quality or temp. I have them growing in my 20 gallon community fish tank and 3 way divided 10 gallon of betta tank. They are thriving and growing the roots.

Maybe you had some different kind of anachris that are sensitive to something in your tank.

I bought some money worts from petsmart and they melted in my tank. I decided to get a refund and bought the same kind of money worts at petco. Now it's thriving very well in my 20 gallon tank! I think it was probably water shock or something. :O
mkayum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #5 
BettaQi

Maybe try to acclimate any plant you get in the futur?

I didn't know to acclimate plants and my hornwort melted.

I am getting some anachris soon and I suspect some of it will melt.

At least your shrimp are happy!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #6 
Sapphoira

Well I did acclimate them a bit, in case the water here is harder/softer than what they are used to. I'm going to check up on which species of it we sell at my petsmart, because we mostly sell it as turtle food so it's entirely possible it's not the correct kind for my betta tanks!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote