Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #1 
tsukiowns

Got plants but not sure how to set them up??

Hey beta lovers

I just bought a couple of good looking anacharis and water vesperia at Petsmart and was wondering how long should I keep them in quarentien? Also are these plants floater or can they be good for planting into substrate and still survive??

Thanks for the help in advance
tsukiowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #2 
MSG

If you bought them from PS, didn't they come in tubes?

If they came in tubes with that white gel stuff around the roots they should be ready to add to your tank immediately.

BTW, how much did you pay for them? I need to buy some wisteria myself.

Water Wisteria Proper Name: Hygrophila difformis.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #3 
tsukiowns

Yeah that one I paid like 3.14 for a bunch so I got 2 and no it was in a big tank with other plants and snails that's why it's in quarentien... But can they both be planted in substrate with out stem rot
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #4 
kfryman

Any stem plants are fine for immediate planting as they root extremely fast. Some people just like to float them to get roots developed.

Both plants are fine left floating or planted. If the wisteria gets too big you simply cut it below those little bumbs where the leaves come out of. This is where stem plants have their roots coming out of.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #5 
MSG

Only PTC sells loose plants like that in tanks. PS, sells plants that come in plastic tubes with clear jelly.

Last time I went to PTC, saw a large open tank full of plants, but there guppies/goldfish and mixed in there.

My 4 wisteria melted. My anacharis was eaten by the fishies.
Hope you have better luck.

You may want to plant them in the back of the tank. Because they will grow tall & block your view if you put them too close to the front.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #6 
tsukiowns

Yeah thanks for the tips... And yeah that's how it was in an open tank but I made sure to pic the healthy looking ones with good roots and if I get more water wisteria I can ship some to you I you still need it it is pretty big about to hit max on my aquariums height... Just pay the shipping for it and I will gladly send some over... Sorry to hear about your plants MSG I only have my 3 Berta spin thought they will eat it (I say this hopefully) lol
Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #7 
tsukiowns

How long should I quarentien the plants for snails??
Old 09-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #8 
MSG

Usually 2-3 weeks. That's why I didn't buy plants from PTC.

If I have snails I just introduce my purple betta into the tank. She'll rip them out of the shells & eat them.

Are you sure you bought your plants from PS? None of the stores here sell those plants in tanks, PS only sells moss balls in tanks.

When I was at PTC I stuck my hands into the tank to check out the plants. There was no one to stop me so I was like, "Why not?" Found some plants I couldn't ID.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #9 
tsukiowns

Yeah it was at my local Petsmart. So far all the Petsmart I have visited in Florida have that set up a big tank with all the plants and some pond fish with a crap load of trumpet snails... Yeah I rinsed them off with tuning water then swished them in my water change bucket then finally put them in my quarentien tank with the new Betta but I feel like moving the Betta to another tank so I can keep him under a better watch.... And I wish my betta would eat them but they are passive little boys lol... I kight add some API plant food that has potassium which kills snails (killed my mysteries by accident once)
Old 09-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #10 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Usually 2-3 weeks. That's why I didn't buy plants from PTC.

If I have snails I just introduce my purple betta into the tank. She'll rip them out of the shells & eat them.

ID.
Cool! I wonder if my girls will do that!?!

I was afraid I would have to smash the snails for the girls to eat!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote